2010 Columbus, WI Fourth of July Parade  » Entertainment  »
2.5
Ludington Street, Columbus, WI 53925
  • Overall, I think I’m glad I took my kids to the parade
  • But, there are definitely things about the parade I found I didn’t like as well
  • And, as far as small town parades go, this one is definitely one of the better ones in terms of length
  • The parade itself was definitely long and had some interesting things, like jugglers and clowns

• by Review Vigilante

We didn’t attend last year’s Independence Day parade in Columbus, WI because my wife was pregnant and due any day (she gave birth on the 14th of that month). So, when we had an opportunity to attend this year’s parade, we did so. Overall, I think I’m glad I took my kids to the parade; despite the fact it was a very hot day out and we all ended up with a sun burn. But, there are definitely things about the parade I found I didn’t like as well.

I have been attending this annual event on a somewhat regular basis since I was a kid myself. And, as far as small town parades go, this one is definitely one of the better ones in terms of length. And, you can’t argue with something that is free; especially when

the weather cooperates like it did this year.

However, compared to when I was a kid, the parade does have a lot of things I don’t like about it as well. First of all, finding a place to watch the parade was once again a major challenge. We got lucky and found a spot near the Boy Scout brat stand.

But, as has been the case for a number of years, there are plenty of rude people who feel the need to rope off big chunks of the parade route. To be fair, if you live in the city limits, you should have every opportunity to see the parade. But, it’s one thing to go through an actual effort, get up super early and get your seats in place first.

It is something totally different to rope off a ...

• section a couple days in advance then show up just before the parade starts. To me, that’s one of the rudest things imaginable; especially since some of the people didn’t even need half of what they had roped off. And, I could probably understand it and forgive it if it was just people doing that on their private property (they should have the right to see the parade if it’s going right by their house).

But, there were a lot of areas in front of businesses and near public property as well. The parade itself was definitely long and had some interesting things, like jugglers and clowns. But, a good chunk of the parade was things like tractors, antique cars and fire trucks.

And, once again, many of them didn’t even make an effort to appear even close to

being patriotic. There were a couple politicians who went out of their way to appear in the parade, for example, but neither of them was wearing red white or blue. And, do I really need to see the new line of tractors available at one of the local businesses? If you eliminated those things and had only local bands and normal parade things, I think you would have a parade that lasts all of a half hour.

In fact, we actually left early because even the kids were getting bored out of their minds. Overall, I think the parade was OK. But, there are definitely things about it that don’t make it worth attending on a yearly basis.

In fact, I’m seriously considering following my neighbors’ advice and attending a different parade next year. Perhaps it is time to find something a little more memorable for the kids.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 596071180400931/k2311a076/7.6.10