James Cameron’s Avatar 2010 Movie  » Movies  »
  • I borrowed it from the library and I have to say, I’m not too impressed with it, the visuals are spectacular, and the visual effects are terrific, but the story, while it’s very good, didn’t really grab me

• by ReViewMeMedia

Avatar is a movie directed by James Cameron, it is about a crippled Marine named Jake Sully, who in the distant future, travels to the planet of Pandora where the military is trying to drive out the Na’vi, in order to an element called Unobtainium.

This movie was hyped up beyond belief and I kept hearing about how great it was. I borrowed it from the library and I have to say, I’m not too impressed

with it, the visuals are spectacular, and the visual effects are terrific, but the story, while it’s very good, didn’t really grab me. And it was kind of weird with all the new age things in it.

I did not find the story to be that profound, it touched on themes of belonging and race and things like that, but it wasn’t at all earth shattering, perhaps because I watch anime that I expect ...

• stories to actually have depth and mean something.

Avatar is shiny and glitters brightly, but in there is an old saying, all that glitters is not gold. If I’d gone and seen this in the theaters, I would have been wowed at the visuals, but the film tries to be too preachy with its messages concerning nature and race, and it’s ridiculously anvilicious, beating its message into you that racism, destroying nature and war

are bad.

For all its hype and rave reviews, it lacks depths, the heroes journey is predictable and the villain, well, he may be bad, but he’s a typical villain stereotype. Should you watch this movie? If you think it will be something you like then go ahead, I wasn’t really impressed, definitely worth a rental or borrowing it from the library.

You can buy Avatar at your local Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target and online at Amzon.com.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116071180350931/k2311a076/7.6.10