Yankee Doodle Goes to Town movie short  » Movies  »
  • It's called Yankee Doodle Goes to Town, and it's definitely a pro-America, pro-democracy creation
  • We certainly have Curdlefaces out there, but I'm a proud American and I believe we'll always join together and wise up when and if pushed

• by Orrymain

I actually just stumbled upon this movie short from 1939 while looking for something to watch on television. It’s called Yankee Doodle Goes to Town, and it’s definitely a pro-America, pro-democracy creation. It’s theme is that America continues to rise up, to defeat its foes, and that doesn’t mean enemies from other political realms, but rather, nay-sayers and those who try to break down

society with words and doubts.

Narrated by John Nesbitt, the bad guy of the piece is Mr. Curdleface, as played by Clem Bevans. Curdleface is a name that represents the doubters, the ones who predict doom and gloom. Throughout history, Curdleface is seen expressing his doubts, trying to stir up trouble, and even, finally, amazed that America is still out there thriving.

There’s a funny bit ...

• with a storekeeper, played by Robert Dudley, wrapping cheese in a copy of the Constitution after its publication and before its ratification. I had to laugh at that. There are bits with the Indiana Land Company and a young Abraham Lincoln, the 1860’s release of Uncle Tom’s Cabin, World War I, and the great depression. Prohibition is included in there, too.

The message of

this movie short, of course, is that today is a more difficult world, with fears of the times, but still democracy lives on. That was back in 1939, but it’s still relevant. We’re still here, in crisis maybe, but still here. We certainly have Curdlefaces out there, but I’m a proud American and I believe we’ll always join together and wise up when and if pushed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116071180140831/k2311a076/7.6.10