Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular TV Show  » TV  »
  • It was hosted by Craig Ferguson, which I found odd
  • My apologies for the question, but he didn't address the issue
  • There was color, but not as much as I like

• by Orrymain

Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops gave their annual Fourth of July performance in 2010 with the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular which aired on the CBS Network. It was hosted by Craig Ferguson, which I found odd. Is he a citizen? He talked as it he were. Okay, yes, he is. My apologies for the question, but he didn’t address the issue. There’s nothing wrong with his hosting the show, but I was curious about the very patriotic dialog that he spoke. I just researched him on the internet and see that

he became a U.S. citizen back in 2008. A belated welcome to Craig!

The hour’s featured performer was Toby Keith, a country music singer who is indeed quite patriotic. He sang his first big hit, “How Do You Like Me Now” and followed that up with “American Soldier.” He had the audience quite happy. He’s the type of guy you want to see headlining an event like this. They also included footage of him on his USO tour.

Then they did a sing-along of numerous patriotic songs. However, this could have been done much better.

• Corny as it sounds, a bouncing ball with the lyrics would have been nice. The transitions weren’t always the easiest to make out. Now on the location, they did have it on screen, but viewers watching television weren’t privy to that. Keith and Ferguson were both part of this sing-along process, but they didn’t take the lead and weren’t centered. They just needed to do something to make this work better for the home viewers.

The fireworks display was about 20 minutes and, thanks to sponsorship, was interrupted. It began spectacularly enough to Celine

Dion’s God Bless America, which is spine tingling. Much of the music was more pop in nature, but it was good. The fireworks were fun, but lacked the expanse of those in the Macy’s event over in New York. There was color, but not as much as I like. I saw too many white and golden explosions. I like to see red, white, and blue much more than was prevalent in this display.

Still, how can you argue with success? The Boston Pops go with Independence Day, and it’s an event I hope to never miss.

Melanie Caracci says :

Can I find a list of the songs used during the Fireworks in Boston on July 4th 2011. There was an instrumental I think movie soundtrack that was the 3rd or 4th song played. I cannot place it but I think I heard it before. It`s driving me crazy trying to remember. Does anyone know?? Thanks…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 106071180110831/k2311a076/7.6.10