Book The Dalai Lama The Universe in a Single Atom  » Books  »
  • The challenge was good for me, so I enjoyed the effort
  • I think, what the Dalai Lama is suggesting is that we do not forget our humanity in the quest for science

• by Trillium

When did life begin? What exactly constitutes life? What is reality? These age-old questions have been pondered and explored probably forever. Many explorations have resulted in useful insights. Galileo, Newton, Einstein and many other have provided us with priceless knowledge of the world we live in. In his 2005 book, The Universe in a Single Atom, The Dalai Lama attempts to explore the world of science and suggest that there is a meeting point, indeed a moral obligation to align science with spirituality.

Unlike some other Christians, I do not struggle with the

confluence of the Bible and evolution. As far as I see it, evolution is God’s way. Perhaps my views come from an attitude that neither the Bible nor evolution encompasses everything there is to know. I was interested in this book because it seemed as though the Dalai Lama was attempting to align his own spiritual beliefs with science.

As he explains in this book, The Dalai Lama has held a Mind and Life conference for a few years at Dharamsala where scientists are brought together to informally discuss their work, both scientifically and spiritually. He has met many well-known and respected scientists from around the world and has gained an appreciable understanding of science, as we know it at this point. He outlines his knowledge in this book and how he applies meditative study to similar topics.

This highly organized work takes the reader through the thought process of the author as he studies on what he knows scientifically and spiritually. He takes a concept such as quantum mechanics or the big bang theory, describes what he has learned from scientists, and then describes what he has learned from Buddhism ...

• Book  The Dalai Lama The Universe in a Single Atom
      about each of these topics. Any writing and composition teacher will appreciate that the last paragraph of one chapter will always lead into the first paragraph in the following chapter.

I must admit, I probably only understood about 25% of this book. As the Dalai Lama discusses the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics, my head swirled. The challenge was good for me, so I enjoyed the effort. I did comprehend this one basic idea – science is a human endeavor and there will always be the influence of the observer in any study of

our world. This is a concept taught in Buddhism as it relates to reflection.

I think, what the Dalai Lama is suggesting is that we do not forget our humanity in the quest for science. The last two chapters draw on some strong feelings about the ethical use of our knowledge, specifically as it relates to the human genome. In effect, the Dali Lama is pleading that we maintain an ethical response to our quest for knowledge. This was a good way to end the book, as a call to be mindful of our humanity.

ama says :

i think everybody should read this book

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 175071178210131/k2311a075/7.5.10