America Celebrates July 4th at Ford’s Theater TV Show
  • Then he sang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and what impressed me were all the smiles on the faces of the audience

• by Orrymain

For the 2010 Independence Day holiday, a special called America Celebrates July 4th at Ford’s Theater was presented. I liked this hour long show, but I wish it had featured some holiday music in it. Instead, we had a lot of pop music and some other songs, but until the end, there really wasn’t anything about this event that would standout and say it was for the Fourth of July.

Kelly Clarkson opened the show, but I wasn’t thrilled at all. Her song didn’t excite

me.

However, Dick Van Dyke was awesome. The man is one of the most underrated performers in American history, but he still has it big time. He opened with the line, “I’m what’s left of Dick Van Dyke.” I was laughing so much. Then he sang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and what impressed me were all the smiles on the faces of the audience. People were eating it up. He followed that with a medley from “Mary Poppins,” the movie he co-starred ...

• in with Julie Andrews.

The most touching moment was when General Colin Powell celebrated five Medal of Honor recipients. All five were there and their heroic fetes heralded. When they were brought on stage, each was singled out and each was given a salute by President Barack Obama. It was great.

I don’t know who Renee Fleming, but she had some oomph to her performance. I wasn’t impressed with Lionel Richie trying to beef up his All Night Long. It didn’t work for me.

Host

Ty Burrell was satisfactory, but nothing special. From Broadway, Laura Michelle Kelly and Gavin Lee, who star in “Mary Poppins” were good, but after having seen Van Dyke, well, Lee paled in comparison. However, Montego Glover who stars in “Memphis” was rousing.

So, there were hits and misses. I loved Van Dyke and a tribute to the children of the White House throughout our history. For a holiday special, it was too short on the holiday, but Van Dyke’s lone segment made it watchable.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 105071177341231/k2311a075/7.5.10