Bob Dylan - Lily Of The West (Song)  » Music  »
  • Nevertheless, these vocalists aside, although the track isn’t anything amazing, I’d still say that it’s a solid song which has a nice rhythm which continues throughout the track and doesn’t run into any awkward transitions anywhere throughout, the song just flows through to be honest

• by Grimmy101

Lily Of The West is a traditional song which is performed and recorded by Bob Dylan for his album entitled Dylan. The track starts off with an acoustic guitar strumming a chord pattern along with a steady bass line and drum pattern providing the main rhythm of the track with a harmonica part above these instruments.

Dylan comes in after around thirty seconds with a melody that fits with the track and a tone that isn’t all that bad, or at least certainly

better than some of his other middle records.

Something I should mention is that this track does feature some female background singers during the chorus of the track which I honestly think are unnecessary.

Sometimes background singers can certainly help a song and add a power that one vocalist alone may not be able to do, even with studio dubs, but I really don’t think that they were necessary on this track as they really don’t add much, and I’m also not a ...

• huge fan of their tone for that matter either.

Nevertheless, these vocalists aside, although the track isn’t anything amazing, I’d still say that it’s a solid song which has a nice rhythm which continues throughout the track and doesn’t run into any awkward transitions anywhere throughout, the song just flows through to be honest.

The structure is quite repetitive but it also features a lot of vocal sections by Dylan so you do get a lot of substance in this track in a

fair amount of time, just a bit under four minutes.

My only real complaint against this track is the background singers strike me as somewhat unnecessary, although then again I couldn’t really picture Dylan singing that part so I guess I’ll make my complaint more specific and say I don’t like their tone.

However, aside from this everything else in the song seemed to work well and it’s worth a listen: the track isn’t anything amazing but I’d still say that it’s a solid song.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 145071175850931/k2311a075/7.5.10