Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (Song)  » Music  »
  • Although I said the track seemed more developed, I think the listener really gets a sense of this a bit under two and a half minutes in where the song transitions into the bridge
  • I believe I read some remarks saying this album was inspired by Queen in some parts, to be honest I can actually somewhat hear this on this album just because of how dynamic the track is and how many changes it goes through, certainly a song which demonstrates a much more mature style of songwriting than typical Green Day

• by Grimmy101

21st Century Breakdown is the title track of the most recent record released by Green Day. The song opens up in a very simple fashion of just acoustic guitar chords coming in and out but the song gradually builds, particularly thanks to Cool’s pounding drum rhythm which gets louder and louder as the song progresses.

After about thirty seconds or so the track explodes and leads into the first verse of the track where Armstrong takes lead of the song with a melody that proves he can still write excellent melodies and lyrics which strike me as still having sort of the political drive that was behind American Idiot but they do seem more developed as well, more mature.

In fact,

the overall sound on this track thus far has stuck me as more mature than previous Green Day records, the music is still simple for the most part but it just strikes me as more developed than previous records and the sound is nice.

The structure loops around for the second verse and chorus of the track which are just as good as the first verse and first chorus, there’s also a nice reference to Lennon’s “Working Class Hero” in the lyrics of the song, just something I wanted to point out.

Although I said the track seemed more developed, I think the listener really gets a sense of this a bit under two and a half minutes in where the ...

• song transitions into the bridge.

The bridge of the song features a pounding rhythm from Cool with a lead guitar part played by Armstrong over it which sort of reminds me of a quick Irish riff, almost like a Flogging Molly like riff to be honest, it’s got a great energy.

Continuing on, Armstrong goes into the vocal section of the bridge with yet another excellent vocal melody as the music continues to become more alive and more energetic.

Whereas a typical Green Day song would’ve already ended by now, after about three and a half minutes in, 21st Century Breakdown continues to march on in the most energetic fashion and a sound which honestly sounds like a renewed and refreshed

sound from Green Day, I cannot stress the energy that builds throughout the bridge section of the track.

As if this were not enough, Green Day goes into one final change in the track around four and a half minutes in where the tempo slows down and goes into quite a melodic section led by Armstrong’s lead part, which is solo yet incredibly effective.

I believe I read some remarks saying this album was inspired by Queen in some parts, to be honest I can actually somewhat hear this on this album just because of how dynamic the track is and how many changes it goes through, certainly a song which demonstrates a much more mature style of songwriting than typical Green Day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 145071175090831/k2311a075/7.5.10