Black & Decker Pivot Driver  » Housewares  »
2.0
  • However, after using the Pivot Driver, there are definitely things I like about it and those I do hate about it
  • They just don’t grip the screw right and, as a result, I found it is very easy to strip the screw if you aren’t careful
  • I know harder jobs will drain the battery quicker
  • But, even if we use it for easier jobs, I can tell the battery is starting to lose its charge relatively quickly (which, in turn, isn’t helping the power problem)
  • But, this is a product that, after trying it, I would definitely not consider spending my own money on

• by Review Vigilante

I received the Black & Decker Pivot Driver as a Christmas present some time ago. I’m not sure why I got yet another tool for a present considering I’m not exactly a handy man (my wife does a good chunk of the repair work herself). But, given the fact I did need a cordless electric screwdriver for the small jobs I do perform, I was grateful. However, after using the Pivot Driver, there are definitely things I like about it and those I do hate about it.

As I mentioned, I don’t do a lot of handy-man type work around the house. But, I have had to use this tool on a few different occasions; like when we were hanging a bar in one of the closets. One thing I

do like about this tool compared to a regular screw driver, is it does make screwing in a screw a bit easier.

This is especially true if the screw has to go in at a weird angle because the pivot driver is adjustable. But, even though I did appreciate the fact it was better than an ordinary screwdriver, I do think it is slightly worse than your average electric screwdriver. OK, that’s not true, I actually think it is quite a bit worse than the average electric screwdriver (I was just trying to be nice because it was a gift).

First, the Black & Decker Pivot Driver doesn’t have much power to it. It’s OK for smaller jobs. But, if you have to put a screw through something like wood ...

• paneling or a harder board, it struggles.

In fact, when we were using it to hang that bar in the closet, I had to use a regular screw driver (and some elbow grease) to start the screw. I’m also not a bit fan of the tips this driver comes with. They just don’t grip the screw right and, as a result, I found it is very easy to strip the screw if you aren’t careful.

Oh, and is it really that much to ask to put magnetic tips on this thing? I can’t tell you how difficult it is to use a product like this when you can’t keep the screw in place. The battery life of this screw driver is also questionable. I know harder jobs will drain the

battery quicker.

But, even if we use it for easier jobs, I can tell the battery is starting to lose its charge relatively quickly (which, in turn, isn’t helping the power problem). There have been times when I have had to plug the pivot driver in and use it with the cord still attached just to finish a job. That, of course, kind of defeats the purpose of having a cordless tool in the first place.

I do appreciate the gift (as I always do). But, this is a product that, after trying it, I would definitely not consider spending my own money on. I might not do a whole lot of work around the house.

But, when I do, I do need a tool I can depend on. And, this one is not one I feel I can.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532071173331231/k2311a072/7.2.10