Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson book  » Books  »
  • I think it just might be the only book I actually read from cover to cover that I had to read in high school

• by forevergrateful12

Most of the books that you have to read in high school are just stupid. They say that it will heighten your intellect and help you learn all about the important things in life, but only a few have really meant anything to me. One of them was “Speak”.

I think it just might be the only book I actually read from cover to cover

that I had to read in high school. I got a one hundred on all the tests for it and I just thought that overall it was a really great book.

It is about a topic that many teenagers in high school can relate to and may even be afraid to talk about. It is a really touchy subject.

In the book, a girl goes to a party and there is a guy there that she has liked for a while. But he ends up raping her.

The whole book is about her going into this deep depression because she can’t tell anyone about it. If I remember correctly, at the very end I think she tells her mother.

But what helps her cope throughout this whole thing is her ...

• Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson book
      art teacher who helps her express herself through painting. She gets really close to her teacher and I think that relationship is really helpful to her.

She has someone that she can talk to and confide in. Many teenagers these days have been raped, which is so sad, but if there are resources out there that can help them, then they can cope with it

a little better.

There are things that communities do to try to prevent rapes from happening, but once they have already happened, you need to concentrate on the individual. The girl in this book doesn’t speak to really anyone after she gets raped, and it is important that we can get those that are raped to speak out about it so they can get help and guidance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172071171871031/k2311a072/7.2.10