Air New Zealand  » Airlines  »
New Zealand
  • They could only issue me a standby ticket (free of charge) which means I could only board the flight if any passengers failed to turn up

• by nzlem

I remember missing a domestic flight from Wellington to Auckland. I had another connecting flight from Auckland to Malaysia in about 2.5 hours later.

I quickly ran to the customer service counter and asked if there was anyway to get me onto the very next flight. The next flight was an hour later and it was fully booked. They could only issue me a standby ticket (free of charge) which means I could only

board the flight if any passengers failed to turn up.

I realised that even if I managed to get onto the flight I could still miss the check-in time for my next flight. I requested them to allow me to hand-carry all my luggagess and also requested them to contact my next check-in counter (Malaysia Airlines) and let them know of my situation. They did so and arranged everything for me.

I must say I ...

• was very lucky that some passengers did not turn up and I managed to get onto the flight. When I arrived at the Auckland Airport, I only had about 50 minutes to check in for my next flight. The airport staff escorted me in a specially arranged car from the Domestic Terminal to Internation Terminal and then to the Malaysia Airlines check-in counter, I did not have to wait in the queue. The
        most important thing was that I did not miss my international flight which saved me a lot of money and time.

I was so grateful for what the airlines and airport did to help me in this matter. I wasn’t even on a business class or first class ticket. I wouldn’t be surprised at what that did if I was on a more expensive ticket. I owe them a big thank you. Thanks heaps!!!

Air New Zealand

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 402071171350931/k2311a072/7.2.10