The English Bulldog  » Pets  »
  • They are lazy just like people are sometimes, they lie around after they finish eating a meal, and the perfect part is that they won't badger you and come dirtying all your clothes by jumping on you, if you'd want to pet them they would lumber slowly towards you and just let them rub their tummies and their tails, yes they definitely you to scratch their tail, it does sound yucky but for owners like me it's total heaven, seeing their dogs enjoy it and ask for more
  • What I like about this breed too is that whenever we go to the park, people stare and point and laugh, not I know it's not proper to stare and laugh but when I hear people say
  • If you're feeling lonely, sad or mad at something at work or with someone, you can always look at them and they would tilt their head so towardsly on one side that you'd know they're like asking you what your problem is, and whenever I feel down I just hug my English Bulldog and everything is miraculously fine

• by jbs

English Bulldogs are most often misunderstood and misjudged, they are thought to be ferocious, fierce, mean snarling animals who are chained to guard houses and farms. Apparently, this is the wrong misconception that most people have. I used to have the same wrong thought about them but my boyfriend told me it was very wrong, thus we tried buying one and she (named Cupcake) became the center of our life! She became the center of our whole family!

English Bulldogs are actually gentle, fun-loving, and lazy house dogs. Adam Sandler had Meatball, Matz and now Babu. They are funny, loving, and very helpful as I watched dozens of their video clips in Adam Sandler’s website. DJ Samantha Ronson has one as well. These dogs just want to eat and sleep all day, and if someone was to want to steal them, they would be successful! You’d have to watch your bulldog as lots of people want to steal puppies because they are worth much money. The average price of an English Bulldog is about $1,000 at least and the most expensive that I have seen so far is about $5,000 which is already an adult and raringly black and white in color.

These dogs were used for bull-baiting in the year 1800’s, meaning they were (past tense) really strong and fierce, but when the game was deemed illegal the dogs were considered “unemployed” thus people began breeding them to have gentler and kinder genes that would produce nicer bulldogs perfect for a house. They are the perfect guard dogs and a perfect house dog, they’re also great with kids as they are very snuggly and can be really entertaining to the family.

My comments and opinion are from

my observations from our daily loving life with our English Bulldog who is named Cupcake, she is 1.5 years old, currently pregnant and is very loving and demanding! English Bulldogs do salivate a lot, but I only notice this when they are extremely tired from running or walking and after drinking of course, because they do have a lot of wrinkles and they can’t wipe their face obviously. They want to have their stocky thick-set bodies brushed and massaged all the time and they demand by nudging your hands when they think they need more massaging, especially in their tummies!

For the “lazy” part, it goes hand in hand. They are lazy just like people are sometimes, they lie around after they finish eating a meal, and the perfect part is that they won’t badger you and come dirtying all your clothes by jumping on you, if you’d want to pet them they would lumber slowly towards you and just let them rub their tummies and their tails, yes they definitely you to scratch their tail, it does sound yucky but for owners like me it’s total heaven, seeing their dogs enjoy it and ask for more!

They are also great with kids, adults, and other big dogs, but my suggestions is you’d have to watch dog to dog socialization first (as with any other dog, not just the English Bulldog) when introducing them for the first time because the English Bulldog tends to “play” a bit roughly as they really are big and the other small dogs can’t keep up with them, and the small dogs can have the possibility of being squished and pinned down by the big bulldog, which can again, be misjudged by other people ...

• saying the bulldog “attached” their small dog!

Their eating habits are really enjoyable, they gobble up food so quick you’d think their mouths were hurricane vacuums! You’d have so much fun training them as they are trainable; if they see you with treats and stuff, you would feel great and accomplished, seeing a bulldog “sit” or “shake hands” or get “down”. Of course you’d have to be patient, since I’ve watched on The Doctors before that English Bulldogs do not tend to follow someone easily as they think they are big and strong and independent, but in due time, again, as with any other dog, English Bulldogs are trainable. Just look at Tillman, the male English Bulldog who can surf, snowboard, skateboard, and skimboard! That dog had me howling! English Bulldogs are not easily trainable and mine could only do 3 tricks as they really do have a superior attitude, but Tillman the star does tricks really well, even I couldn’t do half the stuff he’s doing! For mealtimes they would mostly eat anything you’ll give them, they love dog food, rice, and bread. But again, just be sure to give them the right stuff and not chocolates, grapes, macadamias, and corn as these are the most stuff that can kill a dog (read on Yahoo.com and Dogster.com).

What I like about this breed too is that whenever we go to the park, people stare and point and laugh, not I know it’s not proper to stare and laugh but when I hear people say:”Oh my gosh she’s so fat!” or “She looks like a little pig” I really do grin from ear to ear! These dogs’ shape are really stocky and the more stocky and muscular they are,

the more beautiful and handsome they really are in the dog world! The more wrinkles and the more “ugly” they are, the more beautiful and handsome they are to us and the judges! People do appreciate the English Bulldog by saying they are rare, actually because only few people own them as they are quite expensive, and I feel they are special and misunderstood, and I want to get across people that this is not the type of dog to come biting and snarling at you, they are very lovable and sweet dogs who just wants to rest and rest and play a little bit, a little bit only though as they do tire easily.

If you’re feeling lonely, sad or mad at something at work or with someone, you can always look at them and they would tilt their head so towardsly on one side that you’d know they’re like asking you what your problem is, and whenever I feel down I just hug my English Bulldog and everything is miraculously fine! Just seeing her face could make anyone’s heart melt. They can be a great substitute for comfort food or even smoking or drinking as they are very loving, these dogs beats your favorite teddy bear or even your kids’ favorite teddy bear or doll, you’d hug them and they’d let you hug them fiercely without them squealing and everything would be alright in the world!

If you’re looking for a pet who is great for outdoors and indoors and will keep your disposition happy all day, you can always try looking at English Bulldogs at your pet store and see if their face catches your eye! Our Cupcake surely did catch my eye, and my heart!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292071170860831/k2311a072/7.2.10