University at Albany In the High School Program  » Education  »
1400 Washington Ave, Albany, New York
  • I did not have to go to the University of Albany for the class, I just took it right at my high school which was really convenient
  • He was a really great teacher who knew the language very well, so I was happy about that
  • That was quite the challenge, but I learned a lot of cooking words
  • I found that we were learning a lot about food, which was okay but it would have been nice to learn more than just that
  • So take the chance now because I know that it was more an I ever imagined it to be

• by forevergrateful12

When I was in high school, we had a few options to take a class through the In-the-High School Program. Basically what this is is a program where you can take a college class in high school and receive college credit for it. All you have to do is when you get into the college you want to go to, you submit your transcript from that college you took the class through and it transfers over. Through this program, there are people who go into college as a sophomore! I didn’t get the chance to do this but I did get to take a few college classes. Let me tell you about it.

I was doing really well in my spanish classes, so I wanted to take it for college credit. This way, I could get my GPA going and I could graduate college faster by having more credits. I knew that the class would be at a much higher level than the high school spanish classes, but I was ready for it. So I signed up for it and I got accepted into the program. I did not have to go to the University of Albany for the class, I just took it right at my high school which was really convenient. Albany was over an hour away from my

high school so I knew that would be difficult and I probably wouldn’t have been able to take the class if I had to do that. It was taught my a high school teacher who had the credentials to teach college classes. It was pretty cool actually because it was the same teacher I had had for a few years now. He was a really great teacher who knew the language very well, so I was happy about that. The class ran on a normal high school schedule just like all my other classes. I knew that actual college classes did not run every day, but rather they were ran like twice a week for a longer time. But this wasn’t the case with this class, so it didn’t really feel like a college class.

However, it was definitely a challenge. There was a lot of speaking that we had to do entirely in spanish and that really helped me to improve my vocabulary and speaking skills. It helped me to feel comfortable with the language and to work on my accent. I knew that if I had taken just a normal high school spanish class, I would not have gotten as much out of it as I did with this class. In this class, we got a chance to prepare ...

• and bring in spanish food. We would then tell the class how we made it in spanish. We would also have to use a spanish recipe that was written entirely in spanish. That was quite the challenge, but I learned a lot of cooking words! I found that we were learning a lot about food, which was okay but it would have been nice to learn more than just that.

There was a lot more reading that we had to do too. This was also completely in spanish. It wasn’t all that easy, but it was beneficial. We would read full-length stories and any word that we didn’t know, we had to look it up and write it in the margins. That really helped broaden my vocabulary because when you are forced to look up a word and write it down, you will almost always remember it. We received a lot of vocabulary words too. I know this sounds like just all the other high school spanish classes, but we received so much more vocabulary than in a normal class. I had to do a lot of studying and a lot of practicing. I would have to stay after school and get help. There were many nights when I was there pretty late.

I think the best part of this class

was our trip to Peru in South America. What an experience! It was absolutely incredible, so incredible that I cannot describe it to you in words. But I will try. I got to swim in the Amazon River, fish for peranas, stay the night in the rain forest, go to Machupichu (which now people are no longer allowed to go there as it needs to be preserved), I got to meet a lot of interesting people and practice my spanish, and I got to eat some pretty interesting food. They even had ginea pig which is disgusting! I passed on trying that out. That’s just gross. But it was an experience that I will never forget. It was magical and I’ll probably never get a chance to do that again.

If you have the chance to take a college class in high school, do it. It is the cheapest college class you will ever take. It only costed me $120 for this one class. Now if I want to take a college class at my college, it costs about $700 for one class, and that’s at a state school. So take the chance now because I know that it was more an I ever imagined it to be. Plus, if it’s a cultural or language class, you might get a chance to do some traveling!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501071169830331/k2311a071/7.1.10