Animal Farm by George Orwell  » Books  »
  • It was very nice how Orwell made such a serious and heart-wrenching (this is so in the case of animal cruelty) issue seem like child's play

• by thegirlfrombrazil

I have never come across a book this short and so fairytale-ish that made my jaw drop. Animal Farm is an unbelievable story. I have seen so many copies of the new version with the pink pig on the cover and I thought, “Well, isn’t that a cute little porky?” I never bought it because it was too expensive. Fortunately I had rummaged through a box of unused school books and a dilapidated copy of Animal Farm was mixed in so I instantly took it. I never knew that such an unassuming cover could contain one of the most epic stories ever made.

The introduction was a sleeper for me. I wasn’t familiar with the instances mentioned there at all, but I forced

myself to go through it simply because I felt like I had to read everything that was inside. The very first chapter of the story instantly got my attention. I have a soft spot for animals and I have always been a big fan of animals acting like humans in their own unique way (think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pingu and Shaun the Sheep). I loved how Orwell described the major characters like they were any other human or animal we meet or see on TV. During the first half of the story, Snowball and Benjamin were already my favorites. That alone is a big deal because if I cannot find any character in the story worth siding with, I would never ...

• fully appreciate it. Too bad Snowball disappeared from the story after Napoleon betrayed him. And I began to like Boxer during the start of their new lives because although he was stupid, he had a good heart and pure intentions. It was very dismaying to see him go like that. At least Benjamin stayed on until the end of the story.

I liked the story very much because everything about it was simple yet it kept me thinking for hours afterwards. The words were not dramatic and so was the plot. I didn’t have to stress about understanding what was going on, leaving me room to absorb the message of the story. It was very nice how Orwell made such a serious

and heart-wrenching (this is so in the case of animal cruelty) issue seem like child’s play. He truly has a brilliant imagination and a good grasp of the English language which makes reading such a joy instead of a burden.

Animal Farm taught me how education can save you from the clutches of Napoleons in this world. It frees you from slavery and empowers you to make your own path, and never to be a blind follower. This story is a classic because even if it was specifically about certain Russian events, these situations still happen anywhere. And for as long as there are uneducated and greedy people, Animal Farm will remain a classic and a must-read for anyone who needs a crash course in reality.

Animal Farm by George Orwell

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171071169440331/k2311a071/7.1.10