“For The Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to The Art of Letter Writing” by Samara O’ Shea  » Books  »
  • When I first received the book, it wasn't what I thought it would be
  • The book is only one hundred sixty-three pages long, and it was written in a more personal/conversational format as opposed to the pretentious I know more than you writing books
  • The thing I like best about the book was how compact and light it is
  • I also loved the sample letters which were far from boring which made me have a different opinion of what letters are and what they can be
  • I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to begin writing letters or writing in general

• by C.Channing

“For The Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to The Art of Letter Writing” Samara O’ Shea Non-Fiction ISBN: 978-0-06-121530-8

Frankly speaking, I like to write, and I’m not sure if I’m any good at it; however, I like it just the same. I was looking for a how-to book on letter writing because I’ve recently (well, not recently) come to the realization that I, too, have become a victim of the online networking sites. I felt that I’ve really lost contact with those significant to me, and I wanted to learn how to write efficient letters to better stay in touch with them.

While on my journey to find the perfect how-to write letters book, I came across For The Love of Letters: A 21st-Century

Guide to The Art of Letter Writing by Samara O’ Shea who is a relatively new author to me. When I first received the book, it wasn’t what I thought it would be: The book is only one hundred sixty-three pages long, and it was written in a more personal/conversational format as opposed to the pretentious I know more than you writing books. The thing I like best about the book was how compact and light it is. If I was in a rush, it was easy to take the book on the go. The only thing I didn’t like about the book was the cover: it looked old and outdated, and it reminded me of those old-fashioned cotton coin purses.

The book is plain ...

• and simple: how to write interesting letters without tedious language. The books covers a range of various subjects such as love to anger to apologies. There was no subject left unturned. I liked how the book had an easy flow from chapter to chapter. As a reader, I would hope that everything an author is trying to convey in each chapter is concluded in that chapter or carries over to the next in a sensible way and Samara did exactly that. I loved how conversational the book was which made it more fun to read and absorb the information. I also loved the sample letters which were far from boring which made me have a different opinion of what letters are and what they
        can be. There were also some examples of letters written by famous people in history that were included in all of the chapters.

Overall, I thought For The Love Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to The Art of Letter Writing by Samara O’ Shea was one of the best writing books I’ve read that didn’t bore me to death. The book was conversational which made it painless to read and I was even surprised at how alert I was when reading. I found the book to be entertaining and even funny at times, and it completely changed my perspective of writing letters. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to begin writing letters or writing in general. It’s a must-read and is really hard to put down once you get going.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1730061169191030/k2311a0630/6.30.10