Religulous (Documentary)  » Movies  »
  • I personally find the subject of religion quite interesting and it’s something that I’ve read numerous books on and try to study somewhat often
  • I lean more towards the Eastern religions rather than the Western ones but I decided to give this documentary a chance
  • I know a decent amount about World Religions and just feel that he personally came off as only criticizing very superficial religion without looking at what it really is

• by Grimmy101

Religulous is a documentary by Larry Charles which features Bill Maher which basically focuses on mocking religious belief, although I will stress now that it primarily only focuses on the Western religions, extremely little to no attention at all is given on the other Wisdom Traditions. I personally find the subject of religion quite interesting and it’s something that I’ve read numerous books on and try to study somewhat often.

a chance.

Now, I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of this documentary was.

I assume that it was made in order to mock organized religion, but to me the film didn’t really succeed in this.

After I watched the film I didn’t feel any less interested in religion or ashamed by the Western church, but I was indeed ashamed of some of the people who were featured in this film.

While watching this documentary though, one needs to remember that the crew and production people will obviously look for the most interesting people that can be interviewed, not necessarily the best or most informative.

I will admit that this documentary had some very funny scenes and interviews in it and I laughed throughout a lot of it, but if the point of this documentary is to try and take down organized religion, I honestly don’t believe it does its job.

For one thing, this religion only focuses on the Western religions of Christianity, Judaism, and very minimally on Islam which shows the ignorance of the creators of ...

• Religulous (Documentary)
      this film who excluded most of the other World Religions.

Second, as I said, the film is obviously exaggerated with who was in it since they’re there to provide humor rather than information.

I’d say that Religulous is a humorous documentary to watch if you want to hear some terribly blind following people who no very little to nothing about what their religion is truly about, but this isn’t really a film to be watching if you want any valuable information on religion.

Maher does make criticisms of religion

but he does it in an extremely superficial fashion which doesn’t look into spiritual truth of any doctrines and makes him just come off as somewhat ignorant about what religion truly is.

And just as I note, I don’t write this from the view of a Christian or really any other particular religion so I’m not criticizing Maher because he may have possibly offended me.

I know a decent amount about World Religions and just feel that he personally came off as only criticizing very superficial religion without looking at what it really is.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130061168771030/k2311a0630/6.30.10