Cytomel: Thyroid Medication  » Medicine  »
  • For a long time, both I and the doctor were unaware that I had a problem with my thyroid
  • I know that some people suffer side effects, but I have not had any experience with them

• by opalina143

Cytomel is a medication usually prescribed for a thyroid disorder. There are two types of thyroid disorder. One type is a hyperactive thyroid — in this type of disorder, a thyroid releases too many hormones. The other kind of thyroid disorder is an under active thyroid. In an under active thyroid, the thyroid gland does not release enough of the hormones that a persons body needs.

A person who has an under active thyroid often has the following symptoms: weight gain and tiredness. Before I went on the Cytomel I had these symptoms very severely. I was tired all the time and slept much of the day. I was also gaining weight even though I wasn’t hungry and eat that much.

Not being hungry is another

possible effect of having an under active thyroid. For a long time, both I and the doctor were unaware that I had a problem with my thyroid. It was only when the doctor ordered a series of tests that he discovered my thyroid was under active. He immediately prescribed Cytomel.

The Cytomel comes in a small pill taken once daily in the morning. It is very important, when taking Cytomel, to remember not to take calcium supplements or multivitamins along with it. I wish my doctor had told me this; I only learned about it by reading the information that came with the medicine. You can take calcium supplements and multivitamins, but it has to be several hours after taking the Cytomel.

This is why it is ...

• very important to always read the information that comes with your medicine, the information that comes from the pharmacy. I have had no side effects from taking Cytomel. I am glad that these have not been a problem. I know that some people suffer side effects, but I have not had any experience with them.

Soon after went on Cytomel, I started feeling more awake during the day. I stopped gaining weight although I got some of my appetite back. I was able to eat more yet gain less weight. I still feel tired from time to time and have developed other health problems, but I do not believe they are as a result of taking the Cytomel.

The Cytomel has been a good medicine for me.

One thing that I was cautioned about is that taking Cytomel with diabetes can cause problems. The Cytomel can make diabetes medications less effective, and with Cytomel, it can be harder to control your blood sugar. I do not have diabetes of this has never been a problem for me.

Still, it’s something to be aware of if you have these conditions. Knowing that I take Cytomel, I have been watching my weight very carefully in the hopes that I do not develop diabetes. It is very important to talk to your doctor about blood sugar if you are worried about diabetes while taking Cytomel. Overall, cited always been a very good medicine for me — it has improved my symptoms of an under active thyroid without causing any undue side effects.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2629061167141130/k2311a0629/6.29.10