Long Island Beach, New Jersey  » Travel  »
  • I was fortunate to be there when most things were still open so I decided to spend a day around the LBI and Barnegat areas
  • I was pleased to find a very quaint, somewhat older but still nicely kept area, with pastel-colored beachy houses and condos, many hotels and B&B’s, and a nice selection of beach themed stores, arts and craft venues, eating places, and historical elements like the Barnegat Lighthouse, which unfortunately was not open at the time, but at least I got to see the outside of it
  • I found them to mostly be locals, lots of Italian families running very nice Italian restaurants and eager to tell you about the island
  • I hope I can go back to experience it in its full glory

• by reviewabit

I visited New Jersey for a week in Manahawkin, which is about a ten minute drive from Long Beach Island. I was there in the late summer/early Autumn, and was told that the beaches were either extremely packed, or dead as a doornail in the off season. I was fortunate to be there when most things were still open so I decided to spend a day around the LBI and Barnegat areas.

Lighthouse, which unfortunately was not open at the time, but at least I got to see the outside of it. People working around the area were very laid back and friendly.

I found them to mostly be locals, lots of Italian families running very nice Italian restaurants and eager to tell you about the island. I found a small store which sold handmade soaps, craft items and upscale bath and beauty products at very reasonable prices.

I was told that I was lucky to have made it down “before everything closed. ” It’s a shame they are not open all year– but I suppose it is economically impossible, especially at the moment.

The beach itself was ...

• a total surprise to me. I’m a Southerner and I am used to the warm Florida gulf waters.

This was a whole new ocean… and it was cold! I managed to get my feet wet but that was all I could tolerate, and of course I was laughed at and called a wimp. (That’s ok, let’s see them squirm in 100 degree Alabama heat!) I will say the beach looked much, much cleaner than I had expected.

Kudos to New Jersey for cleaning up the mess I had so often heard about. I would even say the quality of these beaches approached the level of any I have seen elsewhere.

They looked very inviting and

nice. Did I mention they were cold?

Another tidbit that makes me want to go back is that several people told me the area is famously haunted.

There have been a couple of books written on the Long Beach Island Ghosts, and I read one– now I want to go revisit the places they were telling about!

I would love to see this NJ beach and it’s friendly inhabitants again. It’s a little gem that I don’t think has gotten near the publicity or credit it deserves.

I hear they have many entertainment events in the summer months. I hope I can go back to experience it in its full glory.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3829061166561030/k2311a0629/6.29.10