The Queen by Stephen Frears  » Movies  »
  • I found the movie was not only engaging but engrossing

• by tfedge
      I was very lucky today to see a matinee of “The Queen” staring Helen Mirren. Although I knew the movie was about Queen Elizabeth II, I had no idea it was about the period following Princess Diana’s death. I found the movie was not only engaging but engrossing.

It was a story not just of the traditional view of the English Monarchy, but the tension between two views of society: the more traditional English class society versus the more egalitarian democratic

society that appears to be England of the future. I was neither a big fan nor opponent of Diana going into the movie.

Frankly, I didn’t watch her wedding to Charles; I never bought any of the souvenir plates and just wasn’t interested. Nor was I interested in the paparazzi deluge of candid pictures and crappy journalism that marked her life after her divorce.

Having said that, I left the movie with a more sympathetic and respectful point of view Diana ...

• as a person. I also found myself respecting Queen Elizabeth as portrayed in the movie.

I disagreed with many of the decisions she made, but I admired her as an individual who was forced to realize she represented a part of England that has become antiquarian. Mirren did an excellent and convincing job as the Queen.

A couple of difficulties for me was the intercut scenes of film with actual videotape. The graininess of the video tape was disturbing and I

found myself wishing the footage had been technological enhanced.

I also had trouble accepting James Cromwell as Prince Philip. He did an excellent job acting the part, but I have never been able to see him in any of his roles except as Stretch Cunningham, Archie Bunker’s goofy friend in “All in the Family.

” All in all, it was an excellent movie. It’s not destined to be a classic, but could garner a number of awards.

Give it a shot if you have the chance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11401116610631/k2311a014/1.4.07