Toshiba Tecra M5 laptop  » Laptops  »
  • As mentioned earlier, I travel a lot and would have enjoyed a built-in webcam instead of having to get my own USB webcam

• by Saz

I have used this laptop for just about 2-3 years before switching to a new Acer and passed it on to my dad.

Toshiba models have fared well with me, mainly because of their stability in function. As I said earlier, the Tecra M5 has been with me/dad for a good 4 years now, and it’s still working perfectly despite lots of being banged around in luggage bags and even being outright dropped onto the floor a couple of times. It’s a little heavy for me, being about 2.4kg, but I’m a lightweight laptop user

who only uses my laptop for Internet/work/entertainment/email purposes. Not a gamer, neither am I a hardcore designer. I do travel a bit and like to bring my laptop around when I travel, so I would have preferred a lighter laptop. Very solidly built though, so I figure that that’s part of the reason why it has survived a few bangs and falls.

I also particularly like the biometric security function. With in-built fingerprint recognition software and a fingerprint scanpad on the right side just below the keyboard, I loved it that nobody else could get ...

• into my laptop. Fingerprint scanpad worked exceptionally well, rarely could not recognise my fingerprint when my finger was clean. It also saved me the hassle of typing in my password everytime I turned the laptop on. Like it a lot, especially since this is not integrated into most laptops.

The downside for me regarding this laptop is the lack of an built-in webcam. As mentioned earlier, I travel a lot and would have enjoyed a built-in webcam instead of having to get my own USB webcam.

Another annoying part of owning this laptop is the dismal

battery life. The battery dies out very quick, much quicker than most other laptops that I have used, in a similar manner. I have had to replace the battery quite a few times throughout its life.

In other words, this is a great laptop - if you are ok with replacing its batteries every few months. But then, replacing batteries is not as inconvenient as having to service your laptop every few months, so it is a gripe I am willing to live with. I liked the Tecra M5 for its solidness and its stability in function.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6328061165250430/k2311a0628/6.28.10