Delta Sleep System, Dr. Jeffrey Thompson  » Health  »
  • I bought Dr. Jeffrey Thompson’s Delta Sleep System to play in my room at night to help me get to sleep
  • My first experience with it was less than helpful
  • Unfortunately I did not find it to be very effective on the first trial

• by reviewabit

I bought Dr. Jeffrey Thompson’s Delta Sleep System to play in my room at night to help me get to sleep. It was recommended by a friend who said it had “worked wonders” for her.

My first experience with it was less than helpful. There are two cds included in the set, and I have not figure out why, since one sounds no different than the other.

They are quite boring. The sound they contain (I hesitate to call it music) is

comprised of very low tonal droning, obviously created on synthesizer from waveforms.

Supposedly there are these magical sounds that somehow stimulate your brain into producing delta waves, therefore inducing the wave pattern associated with sleep. Unfortunately I did not find it to be very effective on the first trial.

I had put it on repeat so it would play perpetually all night on a boom box across the room. I kept waking up wondering what the weird noise was.

When ...

• my friend asked the next day how it turned out, I had to regrettably tell her it didn’t work. She asked a few questions and then suggested I try it on a different sound system than the poor quality boom box I had in my bedroom.

I dug out my old portable cd player and headphones and gave that a try. I have to admit, it does sound very different on stereo headphones, and I could easily see how the

sound could hypnotize you as it oscillated around in your head.

I did fall asleep, but woke when I unconsciously turned over onto my side, jabbing the ear of the headphones into my face. While I don’t know if it really affected the wave patterns in my brain, I will say that this noise can make you sleepy– but it needs to be heard in a high quality state to work, either on a decent stereo or with good headphones.

Michele says :

I would hope reviewers would be at least somewhat familiar with the product they are reviewing. There are no magical sounds involved here. These CDs employ a popular technology known as binaural beats. They are most effective when the listener uses stereo headphones, and are largely ineffective when played on a boom box across the room. Thompson also uses other technologies such as isochronic tones, which are somewhat effective without headphones, so the CD covers do suggest you can benefit from listening without headphones, but again, these are probably only minimally effective at best when played on a boom box across the room. Also, the music is SUPPOSED to be somewhat boring, as it is intended to be ambient music for meditating and or sleeping. Binaural beats Look it up or Google it or go to YouTube or SOMETHING to educate yourself about it — information on this topic abounds all over the Internet.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3428061165200530/k2311a0628/6.28.10