Russell Street Deli  » Restaurants  »
2465 Russell St. Detroit MI
  • The atmosphere and decorations inside were interesting
  • We went on a Saturday and, unfortunately, that meant that this deli was exceptionally busy
  • My mother in law had a potato soup with a pastrami sandwich, and I had the lentil soup with a ham and cheese sandwich (I know, not very adventurous of me), and we were both exceptionally pleased with the quality of the food
  • The lentil soup (which was a first for me, despite my boring sandwich choice) was absolutely phenomenal
  • My husband ordered a corned beef sandwich, and I stuck with my usual, and both of ours was delicious since I sneaked a taste of his

• by Anasuya

My mother-in-law and I were driving around a few weeks ago, and she wanted to take a trip to the Eastern Market in Detroit and see what it was all about, because she’s never been out that way (she lives about an hour away from it, and we live about 45 minutes away from it), but has heard a lot of great things about it from her friends. The Eastern Market is basically a monster of a neighborhood that sells fresh fruits and veggies, and sometimes caters to Middle Eastern clientele, so there’s always something new and exotic to try and purchase. I was pretty excited to be going with her, because I’ve always wanted to shop there myself. What we didn’t know was that besides the market itself, there were quite a few restaurants on Russell Street, and the Russell Street Deli is the one we stopped at to eat lunch.

I’m typically not much of a deli person. Soups and sandwiches are generally my thing, but it looked as good a place as any and I

figured surely I could find at least one sandwich that I wasn’t going to be too picky about (I’m one of those weird people who don’t care for condiments). The atmosphere and decorations inside were interesting. The tables were these long wooden ones, that many people could sit at together. It almost reminded me of communal dinners or picnic tables, or a combination of the two. We went on a Saturday and, unfortunately, that meant that this deli was exceptionally busy. There was a line to the door, which surprised me, but also said a little something about the popularity and quality of the food. The staff, despite how busy it was, was very attentive and friendly, and we honestly didn’t have to wait as long as I was expecting to order and be served.

My mother in law had a potato soup with a pastrami sandwich, and I had the lentil soup with a ham and cheese sandwich (I know, not very adventurous of me), and we were both exceptionally pleased with the quality of the food.

• The bread is very warm and crisp in all the right places, without tasting dried and brittle. The lentil soup (which was a first for me, despite my boring sandwich choice) was absolutely phenomenal. I’m not sure I’ll have the opportunity to eat lentil soup anywhere else in the near future, but if I do, I have a feeling it couldn’t possibly compare to what I ate at the Russell Street Deli.

The prices were a little much, for a deli anyway, but not so extravaggant as to discourage me from eating there again. In fact, a week later when it was date night for me and my husband, I told him he had to try this deli and we made the special trip out there just for that. We like to try different restaurants every week for date night, and have hit Detroit a number of times to find something new, and this deli has definitely gone on our “favorites” list. My husband ordered a corned beef sandwich, and I stuck with my usual, and both of

ours was delicious since I sneaked a taste of his. And again, the staff was very friendly, always there when we needed them, but in the shadows when we wanted to be left alone. It takes a real skill to read customers on that kind of level, and they really had it down pat. Despite how busy they were both times I had visited, they never seemed flustered or fed up with the customers and always had a genuine smile on their face.

And though it’s in Detroit, don’t be fooled by the bad publicity associated with this neighborhood. It wasn’t bad at all, and we found a good place to park each time right near the deli, and never felt like we were in danger or anything ridiculous like that. Detroit isn’t the safest town in the nation, but there also aren’t gang fights and shoot-outs on every corner like the media would have you believe. Just ignore the location and go enjoy a good meal at the Russell Street Deli. You wont regret it, I promise. 10

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 728061162590130/k2311a0628/6.28.10