Royal York Hotel, York, England  » Hotels  »
Station Parade, York, North Yorkshire YO24 1AA, England
  • Our rooms were a bit hard to find in this sprawling place but we enjoyed looking at the decor on the way up
  • I thought this was a truly interesting and unique touch
  • Unfortunately, it was simply named as a hotel supplier’s, so I still don’t know who made it, but I didn’t have a single muscle ache at all that week, and had no insomnia either

• by reviewabit

On a recent trip to the UK, I was invited to a conference with a friend, who paid for me to have a room in the Royal York Hotel in York, England. This is a luxurious, large (167 rooms) hotel situated near a railways station and the York Minster. When I first walked in, the beautiful lobby with its massive staircase and gorgeous chandeliers took my breath away.

I felt like a pauper! The staff was very friendly and helpful and we were checked in quickly. Our rooms were a bit hard to find in this sprawling place but we enjoyed looking at the decor on the way up.

I noted a glass display

case, which contained ancient Roman artifacts found from an excavation of the site. I thought this was a truly interesting and unique touch.

The room was lush. It even had a phone– something I take for granted in the states, but is considered a luxury in some hotels abroad.

The decor was classic and nice. Everything was spotless, and there was a nice view out of the large window.

The bed was simply to die for. I was so comfortable in this plush pillow top mattress, that I actually moved back the bedding to see who made it so I could look for my own!

Unfortunately, it was simply named as a hotel supplier’s,

• so I still don’t know who made it, but I didn’t have a single muscle ache at all that week, and had no insomnia either!

Housecleaning was superb, prompt, and respectful.

When there was a small glitch in the system that caused an extra charge to be made on the bill which was not accurate, the hotel staff very quickly handled it and without any time wasted on trying to explain why it wasn’t their fault. (A customer service pet peeve of mine) I really enjoyed the morning breakfast buffet.

Everything I could want was available, from fresh juices, cereals, a hot full breakfast table, toaster oven, pastry table, fruit bar, and a large assortment of teas

and coffee- all served with first rate decor and in a plush banquet room. I used room service once for a late evening meal, and although it was a bit pricey, the food was excellent and the service fast and courteous.

The grounds include a pretty round garden where you can take a walk among the flowers and stop to read on a garden bench if you like. If I ever go to York again, and I really hope I do, I would love to stay at this hotel.

I felt like a princess the whole time I was there. I give it my highest rating and recommendation.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 227061161770230/k2311a0627/6.27.10