Slayer - Black Magic (Song)
  • I’ll be honest and say I’ve yet to hear a Slayer solo which I’ve really enjoyed and unfortunately the solos on Black Magic just don’t really do anything for me
  • Overall, Black Magic has an excellent aggressive feel to it and I would certainly recommend it for an early Slayer song to look into

• by Grimmy101

Black Magic is a song by Slayer which appears on their debut record, Show No Mercy. Black Magic starts off in a very building fashion with a rapid guitar chugging slowly fading in before revealing the main riff of the song which has that very characteristic sound and is both very fast and very heavy.

If I had to chose among some of my favorite riffs on Show No Mercy, the riff after the introduction of Black Magic would

certainly be up there.

Araya comes in with the vocals and since this is Slayer’s first record you certainly get to hear Araya before his voice could be worn out by too much studio work.

Araya has a very nice growl throughout some parts of this song but you can also tell that he hasn’t quite developed that style which many Slayer fans are now familiar with, he sounds great nonetheless though.

The song has a very nice flow ...

• without any awkward transitions between parts and I was actually surprised to see how fast this song was passing by, particularly since it’s such a bad song.

I’ll be honest and say I’ve yet to hear a Slayer solo which I’ve really enjoyed and unfortunately the solos on Black Magic just don’t really do anything for me.

Slayer solos always just struck me as extremely fast leads which are just sort of meant to go along with the fast

rhythm but they don’t add much to the actual song, but this is just my opinion and thought that Kerry King just can’t solo properly, although Hannemen isn’t bad.

I’m also not a huge fan of Araya’s vocal tone during the bridge of this song, but he was still developing a vocal tone so it isn’t a big deal.

Overall, Black Magic has an excellent aggressive feel to it and I would certainly recommend it for an early Slayer song to look into.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1427061160960130/k2311a0627/6.27.10