Andress High School  » Education  »
5400 Sun Valley Dr El Paso, TX 79924
  • I suggest this high school to students who are looking for a diverse community where they can learn and grow

• by adrean_j

My mother, younger sisters, and I have all attended the same public high school. Over the last 30 years, not much has changed, except for the staff members. The school is quite shabby compared to other more recently built schools. Even though a lot of bigger and better schools have been built, Andress High school still shows the most heart. With activities from A to Z and understanding faculty, I hope to send my daughter there someday. This High School is located in a quiet residential area. Andress High School is known for its always green quad. It is quite scenic being surrounded by trees and green grass while being in the desert. Every Friday morning there was a pep rally held right in the quad. This really encouraged students to show up to school on time, and even a little early.

The counseling staff has always been very personable, and really help you to choose the classes you need. They even helped me get into a work study program, my senior year.

While attending this High School I was not very social. Somehow I still found myself involved in a couple of there many activities. I preformed in four different dance recitals. I was also stage hand for one of numerous plays. My senior year was extremely enjoyable. I was voted DECA Vice President. I also went on to become the DECA district champion. As the champion, I received an all expense paid trip to Houston, TX. Besides going to Houston I was able to enjoy many other school outings. It was easy to get involved at this High School because they offer so many activities to join. They offer dance, football, basketball,

• baseball, yearbook, student council, DECA, theater arts, cheerleading, flags, band, choir, and home economics. I had some of my most memorable experiences at this High School. The first time I visited Western Playland was with the school. Western Playland is a local theme park.

Although this school is a great learning institution, it does have its problems. First, the buildings are really old. They tried to build some rails and connectors, to connect the buildings. These were installed a few years ago, but didn’t do much for the actual outside appearance. They also planted some palm trees and rocks in the front of the building. It helps, but I really think Andress needs a paint job. The buildings are dull and look very drab. The colors are supposed to be maroon and gold, but the gold tends to look

more like a yellow. The library needs to be upgraded. The computers always seem to be behind what is out at the time. Andress high school is a very diverse school. This lead to a riot when I was attending the school, between different racial groups. It was quickly resolved, due to the cops promptly coming to the scene.

There is only a record of this happening one time, so I don’t really use it to weigh on my decision as to whether or not this is a good school. They help kids look to the future, and get the training they need to survive in the real world. I suggest this high school to students who are looking for a diverse community where they can learn and grow. It is also a school that promotes competition, travel, and a good work ethic.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5027061160771230/k2311a0627/6.27.10