Idole (Giorgio Armani, 2009, Eau de Parfum)  » Perfume  »
  • After trying Idole, I must say it is one of the very few recent scents that I actually like and might consider buying
  • I decided to try it because, so far, none of the Armani scents have really disappointed me
  • It was at this point that I decided to research its actual composition (which was created by the perfumer Bruno Jovanovic)
  • The middle notes are listed as saffron, Egyptian jasmine (one of my favourite varieties
  • I don't usually comment on the packaging (as it isn't relevant to my decision to buy or not), but I must say the bottle impressed me

• by Pretty Polly

After trying Idole, I must say it is one of the very few recent scents that I actually like and might consider buying.

I decided to try it because, so far, none of the Armani scents have really disappointed me.

And at first sniff, from the bottle, this one smelled promising enough for me to wear it for a few hours. It was sweet but not cloying; „spicy“ but not unisex or overwhelming.

As soon as it hit my skin, I liked it even more. It was exactly as it had smelled in the bottle (which isn’t always the case), promising an exciting three or fours ahead. And there was a bonus I absolutely loved: a distinctive sexy tone to it, provided

by a lush floral heart.

(To me, it smelled like a hint of my favourite scent, ylang-ylang, but I suspect it was actually a combination of jasmine and a sweet citrus scent.) I was lucky it was a warm (bit not hot) and windy day, so I could appreciate the subtleties of the fragrance as it was carried by the wind. Bliss!

About two hours into the scent, a surprising „aquatic“ hint developed. Since the scent was still firmly anchored in a spicy base, it didn’t smell „shallow“ and I didn’t mind it at all. (I love „aquatic“ notes in themselves, the problem is they are all too often coupled with meloney and other synthetic fruity notes, which often end up smelling like a mixture of chewing gum and fabric softener).

With Idole, it was as if the perfume were developing an extra personality – quite exciting, really.

It was at this point that I decided to research its actual composition (which was created by the perfumer Bruno Jovanovic).

The top notes are clementine, pear, ginger and Indian davana (the essential oil of a blooming herb, Artemisia pallens, which is very difficult to adequately describe). Amazingly, this – for once! - corresponded almost exactly to my actual olfactory impressions.

But it was the heart of the perfume what intrigued me the most. I wanted to find out what set off that “aquatic” note.

The middle notes are listed as saffron, Egyptian jasmine (one of my favourite varieties!) and “Loukoum ...

•  Idole (Giorgio Armani, 2009, Eau de Parfum)
      rose”. (Frankly, I am not sure what they mean by this. “Loukoum” - or “lokum” - is the Turkish word for the sweet called “Turkish delight”; and yes, rose hydrolat is often used in Turkish sweets, but I have never heard of a variety of rose called like this; and, rather tellingly, a search for this expression will bring hits mostly related to – Idole.)

So, I don’t know what exactly produced the “aquatic” upper note during the early drydown, but I suspect it might still be a lingering after-scent of davana, mixing with the oncoming greenness of the base notes: patchouli and vetiver. Refreshingly, these are the only two base notes. (No musk or vanilla or tonka beans here!)

The actual drydown was perhaps

ever so slightly disappointing, in that it didn’t offer any new developments. The florals all but evaporated, and the spicy notes calmly settled into the sedate greenness of vetiver, with patchouli keeping the spicy strand of the scent alive.

I don’t usually comment on the packaging (as it isn’t relevant to my decision to buy or not), but I must say the bottle impressed me. It is delightfully Art Deco, including the lettering. And the scent does correspond somewhat to the image then bottle projects.

My final impression would be: unpretentious, elegantly sexy and well-crafted.

Perhaps Idole isn’t exactly the most distinctive of smells – I had the impression of having smelled many „cousins“ of it - it does carry enough „umph“ for me to seriously consider buying it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5627061159791130/k2311a0627/6.27.10