Iron Maiden - The Nomad (Song)  » Music  »
  • The music during the verse of this track isn’t anything all that special and I’m pretty curious as to how Iron Maiden plans to keep this track interesting for nine minutes
  • The song continues on in this instrumental fashion which gradually builds and builds and has an excellent sound in my opinion

• by Grimmy101

The Nomad is a song by Iron Maiden which appears on their album Brave New World. Something great about Brave New World is that it is the first album with Adrian Smith and Bruce Dickinson back in the band after a disastrous period with Blaze Bayley, although this is just my opinion. The track starts off with a pretty heavy guitar part which goes on for about a minute before a guitar lead comes in which has a distinctively Middle Eastern sound to it which obviously fits pretty nicely with the theme of the song.

Dickinson comes in with his vocals and it’s nice to hear his voice again after having two albums with Bayley, as you can tell, I didn’t enjoy this period of Maiden. The music during the verse of this track isn’t anything all that special and I’m pretty

curious as to how Iron Maiden plans to keep this track interesting for nine minutes.

Although I thought this song had a pretty unique sound to it when I first listened to it, I’ll admit that after about two and a half minutes, the structure gets extremely repetitive and Maiden’s certainly going to need quite an impressive bridge section to keep this song interesting and to hold a listener for nine minutes. On a more positive note, the guitar solos start up at about three minutes in and they carry that distinctive Middle Eastern tone, which is there throughout the entire song but just more prominent in some sections than others.

This section of guitar solos is a pretty interesting section but the song goes back into the traditional verse part right after this and with five minutes still left to go,

• I’m still wondering as to how Maiden will keep this interesting. At about four minutes and forty-five seconds in the song fades out to lead into a completely new section where Steve Harris plays a rhythm on his bass and then a clean guitar lead is played over it, I’d say that thus far this is my favorite section of the song, it’s also an excellent contrast to the parts thus far which have all been pretty heavy rather than melodic like this section.

This section also seems to feature a faint horn and very faint strings so the use of outside instrumentation certainly benefits Iron Maiden in this situation and the sound is very interesting, far more interesting than the first half of the song in my opinion. The song continues on in this instrumental fashion which gradually builds and builds

and has an excellent sound in my opinion.

Although I didn’t think Maiden could really carry the song for nine minutes, this instrumental section just saved the song in my opinion. Dickinson comes in for one last vocal section towards the end to close out of the song.

Overall, I’d actually say that the second half of the song is far more interesting than the first just because the instrumental section was great listening to. The first half, with all of the vocals and traditional structure, isn’t bad but at the same time it didn’t blow me away.

Being nine minutes long, it may not be worth really listening to the first half just to get to the second half, but I personally think it’s overall a pretty solid song - I wish it could’ve been shortened significantly, but it’s still not a bad piece of music.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1425061159270230/k2311a0625/6.25.10