Nylabone Brand “Dental Dinosaur” Dog Chews  » Pets  »
  • So far the only problem with it beyond the fact that bits can be chewed off is that the knobs all over the toy can occasionally cause a dog's gums to bleed

• by blunderkind

My puppy is a power-chewer and I have had a hard time finding toys and treats to accommodate his habits. Thankfully, Nylabone came out with something called the “Dental Dinosaur,” a dinosaur-shaped dog chew covered in small knobs that help it clean your dog’s teeth as he chews on it. It is not meant to be consumed by the pet, but it is made of the standard non-toxic and mostly digestible Nylabone material. Most pet stores carry this item, though it tends to be cheapest to order online, which is where I purchased mine.

There are a few different dinosaurs available, ranging from

Brontosaurus to T-Rex to Stegosaurus. I went for the Stegosaurus, and received it in the mail within the week. At first, my puppy did not seem interested. He would pick it up and carry it around for a bit, but he went back to other, softer toys every time. The Dental Dinosaurs are a little harder than some chew toys, so it might not have been comfortable for his jaw. However, he eventually picked it up and started chewing on it, and I haven’t been able to make him stop since then.

The toy is made for supervised chewing,

• and any determined dog can chew off bits of it. My puppy has managed to get most of the head and tail off of it already. I threw away what he chewed off, but I’m sure he ate at least a bit of it, with no ill effect. So far the only problem with it beyond the fact that bits can be chewed off is that the knobs all over the toy can occasionally cause a dog’s gums to bleed. This is especially the case if your dog braces a toy against his mouth and chews only with his back teeth,
        as my puppy does. I have to keep a very close eye on him and make sure he does not scrape his gums when he chews on this toy.

Nonetheless, the Dental Dinosaur has offered my puppy hours of constructive chewing, and his teeth are gorgeous. He has no tartar or plaque buildup in his mouth. Even better, he opts for this toy over things he is not supposed to chew, such as my shoes, meaning much less mayhem in my home. This is a wonderful toy for any devoted chewer, though I do hope their owners remember to keep an eye on them!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2925061158980230/k2311a0625/6.25.10