Spa Collection Vanilla & Creme Incense Cones From The Dollar Tree
1.5
  • I wasn’t really gift shopping when I bought these, but it’s always in the back of my mind when I’m shopping
  • I’m always thinking to myself, would someone I know enjoy this
  • My biggest issue is with the little ceramic incense holder
  • I used a plate underneath because I anticipated this might be a problem
  • But, I think when you’re giving a gift it’s a shame when the person can’t enjoy the item as it’s intended to be used

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I’m classifying this review in gifts because it occurs to me a lot of us girls shop for gifts at the Dollar Tree or similar stores looking for inexpensive gift ideas. I put a lot of thought into my gifts personally and the presentation of the gift is important to me. I wasn’t really gift shopping when I bought these, but it’s always in the back of my mind when I’m shopping. I’m always thinking to myself, would someone I know enjoy this? Would this make a nice gift?

The cute way these incense cones are packaged in a test tube with a little ceramic incense holder makes them look like the perfect small gift. At least that’s what occurred to me in the store.

However, I feel these incense cones are a bad gift

choice for a number of reasons. Number one. The incense cones just barely fit in the test tube and it’s hard to get them out. A couple of times I really had to dig them out with my fingernails. Second, the incense cones burn well, but they don’t burn for very long- about ten minutes is all I got out of them, and there aren’t very many cones to begin with. Also, I’m not sure what to make of the fragrance. It’s supposed to smell like vanilla. It’s hard to tell what incense is going to be like when it’s burning. I do get sort of a sweet smell mixed with a baby powder sort of smell. Some people will like it and some won’t. I’m not sure whether I like it or not.

• Either way, it doesn’t smell a lot like vanilla to me.

My biggest issue is with the little ceramic incense holder. It’s no good at all. First of all it has a hole in the middle as if it was originally designed to hold stick incense. That’s kind of weird. Second it heats up to the point of being really hot when a lit incense cone is placed on it and remains hot for a while afterwards. A person could burn their fingers if they weren’t careful to let it cool down first. Also it transfers heat to the surface beneath, which could ruin a person’s table top. How embarrassing that would be to find out! I used a plate underneath because I anticipated this might be a problem. That’s fine. But, I think

when you’re giving a gift it’s a shame when the person can’t enjoy the item as it’s intended to be used.

So, if you’re looking at these incense cones at the Dollar Tree thinking they would be good as part of a gift basket or a party favor I’d say skip it. I don’t mind them for home use because I can find work arounds for the problems with this item. But I wouldn’t’ dream of subjecting a friend to the annoying and potentially dangerous aspects of this incense kit. And, actually a dollar for eight incense cones isn’t really even that good a deal. For gift giving I’d go for something the recipient wouldn’t have so much trouble using.

quick note by anonymous :

i bought the incense cones and holder from a local dollar store. my holder does just fine and the cones are designed to burn for such a short time so you dont always have to watch it. it releases the same amount of scent. My recommendation: buy better incense. you have to spend atleast 5 dollars to expect a good smell and long burn. it is the dollar store right? lol

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4624061158531030/k2311a0624/6.24.10