10kt Yellow Gold Pear-Shaped Garnet Bezel Earrings by Amazon.com Collection  » Jewelry  »
  • They definitely look like they’d be twice the size they are based on the web photos
  • I like that these garnet earrings have some depth of color
  • I know the color is probably enhanced and not natural, and I don’t really care
  • The ear wires are of the most basic kind and thinner than I thought they would be
  • It looks as though these have gone back up in price since I bought them

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

This is the second fine jewelry item I have purchased from Amazon without realizing it was their exclusive jewelry line called Amazon.com Collection. I’m no jewelry snob, so it doesn’t bother me that I’m not buying from some established jewelry maker. So long as Amazon can assure me that I am buying genuine gold and gemstone jewelry, I’m happy to go with their home jewelry line, especially if it saves me a few bucks. Anyway, based on a negative review of these earrings on the Amazon website I wasn’t expecting much. But, I had just about ten dollars left on an Amazon gift card and these were an incredible $9.52 with free shipping so I went for it.

True, these drop earrings are dainty. They definitely look like they’d be twice the size they are based on the web photos. However, the one reviewer of this item on Amazon had major complaints about the size of these

earrings. Based, on that I was expecting them to be microscopic, which they are not. They are certainly large enough to be noticeable when I wear my hair back and they swing nicely from the ear which I feel calls more attention to them. Having said that, I don’t think they’re spectacular either. They’re not especially sparkly or stylish.

I like that these garnet earrings have some depth of color. Other than the rock bottom price I would say that’s what I’m happiest about with these earrings. I know the color is probably enhanced and not natural, and I don’t really care. What I do care about is to my eye they are a nice dark red berry color. When I’m wearing them they do not appear purple or brown like natural garnets often are, and what’s more they match each other.

My only complaints are this. The ear wires are of the most basic kind and ...

• thinner than I thought they would be. They are literally a thin wire of gold with a loop at the end to hold the garnet drops. It’s been a while since I’ve worn pierced earrings and because they’re so thin and flimsy I really couldn’t get them in at first. I had to poke my ears with a thicker and sturdier post earring and then put these in. Second, the prongs holding the earrings, if they can be called that are very cheap looking. The only thing holding the garnets in place are thin little tabs of gold attached to the bezel setting. It’s like something I would expect to see holding the glass on the back of a cheap picture frame.

Still, under ten bucks and free shipping made this a worthwhile purchase in my opinion. I’m no expert when it comes to fine jewelry and I’m just getting back into wearing gold again. Mostly, I

wear vintage costume which tends to be bigger. These earrings are a disappointment from that stand point, so I’d suggest passing on these if you want a big look. To be honest, I feel this positive review I’m giving comes from my lowered expectations and the fact that I got them for such a low price (I don’t think I would have bothered otherwise). Still, for such a small earring I’m happy enough with them. I recommend these for anyone who has a fondness for garnets and doesn’t mind a small and simple earring for daytime wear.

Note: It looks as though these have gone back up in price since I bought them. No way would I be as happy with these earrings if I had to pay thirty bucks for them; I’d definitely wait for the price to drop again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4524061158501030/k2311a0624/6.24.10