2010 Swan City Car Show  » Entertainment  »
2.5
Swan Park, S. University Ave., Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • There are a couple reasons why I like attending this car show even though I don’t normally attend events like that
  • We did attend the food stand and I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed with that
  • The food was pretty darn expensive (a cheeseburger cost $3) and the portions weren’t even that big
  • I ended up spending most of my money just on food and was a little disappointed about that
  • But, there are definitely ways the event could be improved

• by Review Vigilante

Father’s Day was this past Sunday and, as we always do, my family and I walked down to Swan Park to attend the annual Swan City Car Show. We got there expecting the same thing we see every year, but I was pleased to learn they did make a few changes to the show too. There are a couple reasons why I like attending this car show even though I don’t normally attend events like that. First, it is just down the street from us so we don’t have to go too far.

Second, it is free. And, as always, Swan Park is a fantastic place to hold any sort of event because you have a decent amount of shade from the trees so you won’t roast to death even on extremely hot days. This year’s event was a little different than previous years because, in addition to the regular food stand that is there, they had several other booths set up selling everything from Kettle

Corn to collectables.

That part was kind of neat; other than my daughter throwing a fit because we didn’t buy her a toy (I only brought a few dollars with me). We did attend the food stand and I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed with that. The food was pretty darn expensive (a cheeseburger cost $3) and the portions weren’t even that big.

I ended up spending most of my money just on food and was a little disappointed about that. However, I did appreciate the Elks Club having an anti-drug stand a short distance away because our daughter was able to play some games and get a few cool things. To be perfectly honest with you, the more I think about it, the more I feel this show wasn’t as good as other years.

And, there are a couple reasons for that. For one, the cars were arranged with no real rhyme or reason and, because of the arrangement, some of the walking ...

• aisles were a bit narrow for the crowd we had to walk through. The entire event also seemed to be a bit disorganized since we kept hearing announcements from the stage area asking for judges to judge cars.

Apparently their judges kept disappearing (or were taking forever) and they were getting quite a few people standing around waiting. I also couldn’t help but notice quite a few cars leaving the show the second the judging was done rather than sticking around until the 5 p. m.

end time. I’m glad we went when we did or we probably would have missed some of those cars. And, while I know people do put a lot of money in the cars, you think some would be a bit friendlier.

Every time we walked up to one with our kids, they gave us a dirty look like our daughter’s were going to get their cars dirty or something. This was a huge contrast to the Race into Summer event held

at that location a few weeks ago; where our daughters were allowed to touch and even sit in some of the cars. Oh, speaking of Race into Summer, one of our favorite things about that event is we get a free t-shirt every year.

It would be nice to see this event offering something like that as a souvenir. And, as always (and I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record here), it would be great to see some sort of traffic control on University Avenue during this event. They have cops there already so it’s not like they would be paying any extra money and it would be nice to see that street either blocked off to everyone but emergency vehicles or a police officer stopping cars to allow pedestrians to cross.

We had to wait quite some time before we were able to get across that street. Overall, mostly because it is a free event, I do still like the Swan City Car Show. But, there are definitely ways the event could be improved.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5924061158471030/k2311a0624/6.24.10