St. Ives Fresh Skin Make-up Remover & Facial Cleanser with Chamomile  » Cosmetics  »
0.5
  • I always like the idea of make-up remover and cleaner in one as it really cuts down on cleansing time and is cost effective as well
  • The best and most impressive part of the cleanser was that it was not tested on animals, did not contain any animal ingredients and was formulated without chemical preservatives like Parabens and Phthalates
  • In my opinion if these are found in washes it would actually dislodge dirt and grime more effectively (think Vaseline and baby oil as make-up removers) and then the surfactants in them will wash it off
  • Thereafter after using the St. Ives Make-up Remover and Cleanser I always followed up with my foaming cleanser and that way it worked alright but then that spoiled the very reason why I bought it in the first place to function as a make-up remover and cleanser

• by true_value

Being a fan of St. Ives Scrubs I wanted to try their Fresh Skin Make-up Remover & Facial Cleanser as well. I wasn’t so attracted to it before but now that all the St. Ives products had underwent a revamp and emerged with a new look they looked really eye catching, fresh and elegant. It was a big change from their drab looking appearances.

The packaging of the Make-up Remover & Facial Cleanser looked beautiful. It was a crisp white squeeze tube with white chamomiles flowers decorating the left top of the tube and it had a wide flip-top cap in matching translucent white. At the front of the tube they had a sample picture of the cleanser, which appeared to be of a nice creamy consistency.

I always like the idea of make-up remover and cleaner in one as it really cuts down on cleansing time and is cost effective as well. This was priced at S$8.90 at the drugstore.

The label at the back of the tube claimed to be Non-irritating and Dermatologist tested. It claimed to effortlessly remove even the heaviest

make-up while cleansing the skin. I use liquid foundation, long wearing lipsticks and waterproof mascara so I guess that is pretty heavy make-up and so I liked the claim.

The best and most impressive part of the cleanser was that it was not tested on animals, did not contain any animal ingredients and was formulated without chemical preservatives like Parabens and Phthalates.

The ingredients list showed water (aqua) as the first ingredient followed by Mineral Oil and Paraffinum Liquidum. I don’t like to see these two products but they always seem to pop up in 90% of skin care products.

Well, I have a theory that justifies these unsightly ingredients in cleansers both facial and body washes. I feel that it is not as bad as seeing them in cleansers than in moisturizers. In my opinion if these are found in washes it would actually dislodge dirt and grime more effectively (think Vaseline and baby oil as make-up removers) and then the surfactants in them will wash it off. But on the other hand if I find them in moisturizers especially in those meant for ...

• face I would not buy them as I feel they would clog my pores by sitting on my skin for long hours.

The product did not mention what skin type was it suitable for. I checked with the assistant at the store who said it was meant for all skin types. I decided to buy it and did so.

I planned to use it in my shower that same evening as I had make-up on and I wanted to try it. As per the directions I wet my face and squeezed a small amount onto my palm. Just like the sample picture on the pack the cleanser was white with a slight yellow tint and creamy. It had a very pleasant chamomile smell that reminded me of chamomile tea. It does not lather at all and felt like I was rubbing an oily lotion over my face.

The product warns against direct contact with eyes so I had to keep my eyes tightly closed while massaging over them to dissolved the eye make-up. It however did not take long and I could feel the mascara

soften and dissolve almost instantly. I massaged the rest of my face and neck and rinsed with warm water. It rinsed clean and my face felt instantly soft and supple. As for the cleansing part I did not feel squeaky clean like how I would after using my foaming cleanser.

The cleanser although removes make-up with easy and very effectively was not giving me a through cleansing and not helping to brighten my face but rather it felt like there was some residue buildup on my face. After using it twice a day for about a week I began to notice that my face looked dull and leathery. I however did not get any breakouts from it.

Thereafter after using the St. Ives Make-up Remover and Cleanser I always followed up with my foaming cleanser and that way it worked alright but then that spoiled the very reason why I bought it in the first place to function as a make-up remover and cleanser.

In my opinion this cleanser would be more suitable for normal to dry skin and not for oily skin types like mine.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3124061158351030/k2311a0624/6.24.10