Beaver Dam Community Library  » Other  »
311 N. Spring St., Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • There are a couple of things I like about this library compared to some of the ones I have been to while living in other areas
  • I love the fact the children’s library both offers a good selection of books and has shelves that are lower to the ground
  • We ended up using the self checkout kiosk the last time we were there (and I think that is one of the coolest things I’ve seen)
  • But, one thing we definitely plan on doing and likely will follow through with is re-visiting our community library on a regular basis

• by Review Vigilante

My oldest daughter loves to read. In fact, the thing she is looking forward to the most when it comes to being a 1st grader next year is the fact she can check out as many books as she wants from the school library. Since it is now summer vacation, we ended up dusting off our own library cards (which have sadly been unused for a couple of years) and visited the Beaver Dam Community Library with her. Since it had been so long since we had been to the library, I wasn’t really sure what to expect.

But, for the most part, I do think our community is lucky to have it. There are a couple of things I like about this library compared to some of the ones I have been to while

living in other areas. First, it is free.

This might seem like a strange thing to remind people of since I am talking about a library. But, when I lived in Pennsylvania, the library in our community and in surrounding cities required a membership fee. And, that library didn’t have even close to the selection this library does.

Which brings me to my second point. They don’t have a ton of new releases there on a regular basis (just a couple small shelves). But, overall, this library still has a pretty large selection of books compared to many other community libraries I have visited.

I’m a big fan of mystery novels and they have almost an entire back wall dedicated just to that (though I do have to say they have way too many books ...

• written by British authors in that section). Of course, the thing I like the most, at least as a parent, is the fact they do have an entire side dedicated just to children’s books. I love the fact the children’s library both offers a good selection of books and has shelves that are lower to the ground.

In addition to that, that part of the library has several community events going on to encourage kids to read. My daughter, for example, is participating in one where she gets a sticker each week for reading for 90 minutes (or a total of 9 books) in the course of 7 days and a chance to win a prize at the end of the month event. That’s pretty cool and much more than most libraries do.

The staff

at the library is also amazing. We ended up using the self checkout kiosk the last time we were there (and I think that is one of the coolest things I’ve seen). But, we also talked to one of the staff members about some of the events being held and she was very friendly.

In fact, a couple others even took the time to say hi to us. We don’t even get that in places where we are paying customers. We have a lot of things planned for summer vacation this year and we may or may not get to all of them.

But, one thing we definitely plan on doing and likely will follow through with is re-visiting our community library on a regular basis. If you live in the Beaver Dam area and haven’t done that recently, I would suggest doing so.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1224061158291030/k2311a0624/6.24.10