Serj Tankian - Money (Song)  » Music  »
2.5
  • Money opens with a piano part which moves very quickly and actually has a pretty interesting rhythm as it first starts up
  • After another instrumental transition, a more traditional verse starts up with Tankian singing along with the instruments under him, but unfortunately his vocal melody strikes me as sort of awkward and really not working all that well at all
  • However, I will say I like the way his vocals build up from the first verse to the pre-chorus of the track, but unfortunately once the chorus comes in where Tankian again shouts the word “money” just sort of ruins the sound that I felt he had build up between the verse and pre-chorus which was pretty nice

• by Grimmy101

Money is a song by Serj Tankian which appears on his debut album away from System Of A Down, Elect The Dead. Money opens with a piano part which moves very quickly and actually has a pretty interesting rhythm as it first starts up.

The piano continues to play in this fast rhythm while a guitar comes in at about half the speed playing a riff which has a pretty melancholy sound to it before giving way to Tankian joining

the track.

I wasn’t expecting this sound at all but Tankian doesn’t simply start singing a nice melodic verse to match the instruments, he just jumps right in a very aggressive delivery and yells the word “money” repeatedly.

After another instrumental transition, a more traditional verse starts up with Tankian singing along with the instruments under him, but unfortunately his vocal melody strikes me as sort of awkward and really not working all that well at all.

However, I will ...

• say I like the way his vocals build up from the first verse to the pre-chorus of the track, but unfortunately once the chorus comes in where Tankian again shouts the word “money” just sort of ruins the sound that I felt he had build up between the verse and pre-chorus which was pretty nice.

I don’t mean to seem as if I mind screaming in a song, I don’t at all, but I do mind when it just isn’t

done tastefully, because when it’s out of place, you can certainly tell that it’s out of place.

The song then loops in this structure and once again, the build up from the verse to the pre-chorus sounds great and has an excellent melodic sound, only to come crashing down with Tankian singing the chorus with a terrible guitar tone and unneeded screaming.

Overall, the majority of this track isn’t all that bad, and if it wasn’t for the chorus, it’d probably work pretty nicely.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1424061157920930/k2311a0624/6.24.10