Prince of Persia,The Sands of Time (2010)  » Movies  »
  • I think the stories are great, the Prince is cool, and the killer moves and obstacle courses are enjoyable
  • At first I did not recognize him, but eventually I found out it was him
  • In my opinion, this is a very good movie and lessons can be learned from it
  • But even my husband who really does not care about the game absolutely enjoyed every minute of the action and effects in the movie

• by dzzy21rn

I saw this movie 2 weeks after it came out, because there were a lot of people and the queue lines were long in the theaters!

I absolutely love the Prince of Persia games, and I have played almost all of them except for the latest one, Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands. I think the stories are great, the Prince is cool, and the killer moves and obstacle courses are enjoyable. So when Disney released this movie, I immediately wanted to believe the hype that this was a great!

Normally, games that have been adapted to play in the movie theaters do not deliver. I mean think Street Fighter. It was cheesy, and it just was not cool (well I guess it was, maybe at that time). The effects were not as nicely done as now. When I saw this film, I was surprised that my expectations were wrong! The effects and the graphics were very nicely done.

I am not a huge fan of Jake Gyllenhaal. But he was able to play the part of the Prince Dastan well. The costume he wore was similar to the costumes worn by the Prince in the games. Even the weapons (the double sword) was the same. Actually, the totality of his

look really resembled the Prince of Persia in the games. A total plus! I think they really made an effort to coordinate with Ubisoft to be able to come up with the correct and accurate look of the Prince.

The stunts and acrobatic street-smart moves by the Prince was done beautifully as well. I especially liked the part where he was standing on the top of the roof and jumped gracefully towards the window. It was like a cross of Altair (of Assassin’s Creed) and Prince of Persia. Really, really impressive! They have truly adapted his moves from the games where the Prince is required to be agile and very good in climbing posts, buildings, etc. He really worked out and his body was perfect for the role of a young, strong, smart and brave prince, as opposed to his previous role he played in his movie Brokeback Mountain.

Ben Kingsley played a major role in the film, and being a fan of his, I think he played the part well. He was perfect for the role of Nizam, the evil uncle! He can be Mahatma Gandhi and an evil person, or the teacher of the Love Guru, and he is able to play all roles well.

The ...

• princess also played her part very well. Gemma Arterton was perfectly cast as the princess Tamina and she looked the part very well, very regal I must say. I loved her braveness and she is a compassionate and smart princess! She had grace, and at the same time, she was brave and feisty. Her makeup was nicely done too, looking real fresh in the midst of heat in the Persian desert.

I also loved how Alfred Molina played the role of Sheik Amar. At first I did not recognize him, but eventually I found out it was him! He was great as well. His role as the Sheik was unforgettable, as it added more color to the movie. He was first an foe who became a friend, and played also a major part in the Prince’s life. There were no Sheik Amar’s in the previous PoP games, but his role really added to the comedic relief in this movie.

The effects, especially when it comes to the sands of time being used by any of the characters, were stunning! I loved how it looks like everything is rewinding with the character being outside of his own body. Kind of like ‘astral projection’. I could relate it to the

previous Sands of Time game, where you need to click a button if you failed to do something correctly and everything will rewind. Very nicely done! I just wished they also used the Sands’ capability of slowing down time, just like in the game. I think they can use that in the future Prince of Persia sequels, should they make them. The scene where the Prince was falling with the sands and rocks in the temple was also great, and also the part where the cobra strikes and everything had to be re-winded. I really loved how they did it!

The story is about good and evil, having a heart, and knowing what’s right and wrong. In my opinion, this is a very good movie and lessons can be learned from it. It was perfect that Disney made this movie, because they can really deliver. The character of the Prince was really almost parallel to the Prince in the games, and that’s what I loved most about it. Fans of the games will truly enjoy the movie. But even my husband who really does not care about the game absolutely enjoyed every minute of the action and effects in the movie. I wish they would make a sequel soon!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1124061157090830/k2311a0624/6.24.10