Harry Brown 2009  » Movies  »
  • I first got interested about it when I found out that the gist of the movie was revenge, vigilante-style
  • I like the irony of these movies where old men seem to not have IT anymore, but then, wait there's more
  • His performance was amazing as he ignites the hatred in me as I watched him play the role of Noah, being the bad boy as he was in the film
  • However, I think the motive of the character was for the benefit of the good
  • I really enjoyed it, and truly recommend it to other movie buffs out there

• by dzzy21rn

I just saw the film “Harry Brown” tonight with my husband. This is a British movie starring Michael Caine. I first got interested about it when I found out that the gist of the movie was revenge, vigilante-style. One of the similar movies that I have seen was Clint Eastwood’s “Gran Turino”. I like the irony of these movies where old men seem to not have IT anymore, but then, wait there’s more! And then you see the unexpected.

In the beginning of the film, there was a point-of-view shot of street teens who love to record their violent acts using their cam phones. From the start, I understood right away that the neighborhood in which the main character resides in is really unsafe for anyone, not even for a woman who was simply walking with her baby in a stroller! I will not elaborate on this further since I might spill some important details. This was a little strong and the action scene was a little to graphic. However, I loved the way

that this was made as the introduction to the film itself. This shows you that this movie WILL show you a lot of violence, gore and drug-taking. I liked that this was very realistic, in the sense that these things may even happen in real life, maybe under our noses. Or worse, even just right outside our door. Not for children and not for the faint-hearted indeed.

Michael Caine as Harry Brown was really convincing. Harry is a retired soldier who has a wife in a hospital and another veteran soldier friend as his family. He did not have a huge circle of friends in this movie. So when his only friend becomes a victim of street violence, he takes it upon himself to avenge him. As usual, Caine gives a solid performance in this film. Being a veteran actor his acting was effortless, and I really loved that about him. I felt a huge sense of empathy to his character when watching the film, because I really can see how his character is suffering from loneliness and despair and how he it escalated to anger and revenge.

The main protagonist teen, Noah Winters, as portrayed by British actor Ben Drew, also gave a superb performance as the leader of the gang who becomes Harry’s object of interest. His performance was amazing as he ignites the hatred in me as I watched him play the role of Noah, being the bad boy as he was in the film. He is a drug addict, a good-for-nothing violent kid who resorts to selling drugs and mugging people. His performance was convincing as well. As a woman, when I saw the scene where he was being interrogated by the female detective, I was bothered because his acting was so real I felt offended! Again, this means that he was able to do his job well as an actor, as someone whom people will love to hate. And I hated his role!

The actress Emily Mortimer,playing the detective Alice Frampton, could have done better. I did not like her performance so much ...

• Harry Brown 2009
      in this film. Maybe because the focus was more on Harry Brown, not much on her, but still, she did not make so much of an impact on me. You might recognize her in the movie Pink Panther 2 as the assistant. Well, she did not really stand out in this film. Or maybe her role just did not give her justice. Towards the end of the film, her role was a that of a helpless detective who is waiting to be saved by the main character. I guess not to blame her but the writer.. I mean, what were they thinking?

Harry Brown depicted a story that I felt was too good to be true. However, I think the motive of the character was for the benefit of the good. The goodness in men shines but the means to it is evil. This was a vigilante film. In fact, if this had happened in real life, I do not think the ending would be realistic. There are laws that need to be

followed. The morality in this film will really make you think; were you glad about what he did? Was it right to avenge death with death? An eye for an eye? Very thought-provoking indeed.

The cinematography and the Point of View scene in the beginning really added to the effect this film wants us to have; the feeling of dread and anxiety. I liked the way that it looked really realistic. The violence, sex, drugs and everything else may be offending to some people, but I liked that it was portrayed as real as possible. The way Harry got his weapons, the warehouse he went to, and the drug and weapons dealer scenes, well,they all seem a little harsh, but hey, everything was portrayed well.

If you liked Gran Turino, then this film might work for you. This seemed like a ‘British Gran Turino on steroids’, and I mean that in a good way. I really enjoyed it, and truly recommend it to other movie buffs out there. Again, not for kids and for the faint-hearted.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1124061157080830/k2311a0624/6.24.10