FedEx Kinkos Lower Manhattan
William Street, New York, New York 10038
  • When I decided to transfer to a different college, I had already placed my dorm deposit for the current college, so I wanted to get it back so I could use it for the college I was transferring to
  • The problem was that they were closing, so they told me that as long as I fax it over my the end of the night, they will refund it in the morning
  • When I didn't see any, I thought about just leaving and forgetting about my four hundred dollar dorm deposit because I didn't want to have to wait in line all over again, but then I watched as someone walked over the fax machine
  • It has been over a year since this experience, and I have yet to use the rest of the twenty dollars on that card
  • I do not recommend this location to anyone for any reason unless you have exact change and already know how to use the self-service stations

• by forevergrateful12

When I began going to college in New York City, I didn’t know where anything was. I always had to ask around to find out where I was supposed to go for something. When I decided to transfer to a different college, I had already placed my dorm deposit for the current college, so I wanted to get it back so I could use it for the college I was transferring to. When I called the housing department, they told me that I was calling on the last day that I could get my deposit back. The problem was that they were closing, so they told me that as long as I fax it over my the end of the night, they will refund it in the morning. I searched all over that campus looking for a fax machine that I could use. Everywhere I asked, they told me that students were not allowed to use the fax machine in that area. Finally, I called one of my friends and asked what I should do. She told me to just go to FedEx Kinkos that was just down the block a little ways. So, I listened to her since it was my only option.

It was very

confusing when I walked in. There were tons of people in that, which I wasn’t too surprised because it’s Manhattan and everywhere was busy in Manhattan. I waited in line and then walked up to the counter. I asked the guy who was working how I could fax a paper, since I had never done it before. He pointed to a self-service area where you could print, make copies, and send faxes as well as some other things. I just looked around to see if there were any directions on how to send a fax. When I didn’t see any, I thought about just leaving and forgetting about my four hundred dollar dorm deposit because I didn’t want to have to wait in line all over again, but then I watched as someone walked over the fax machine. I kind of stood over his shoulder and watched what he did. He put this purple card into the machine to pay for it. I then realized that I would have to go over to this machine and put money on a self-service card. When I walked over to the machine and tried to get a card, it told me that it only took cash. I only had ...

• my credit cards and my debit cards on me.

I had to get to work soon so I raced out and tried to find a bank or an ATM where I could take out twenty dollars. You would figure there would be more ATMs around since it was Manhattan, but it took me like ten minutes to find one. When I had my twenty dollars, I walked back into FedEx Kinkos, went over to the machine to get the self-service card, and put my money. I then realized that it put the whole twenty dollar bill onto the card! I only needed less than a dollar! The machine wouldn’t even let me pick the amount I wanted to give and then give me the chance. Whatever I put into the machine, I had to put on the card. It has been over a year since this experience, and I have yet to use the rest of the twenty dollars on that card. It was completely not worth it.

The next experience I had with this location is when I had to mail an iphone to my cousin as an overnight package. The line was a little shorter this time, but that didn’t make it any easier. I walked

up to the man who was behind the desk, and he made me pay twenty five dollars just to ship an iphone for next day delivery! I could bring it there myself for less! I know that the post office doesn’t charge this much for a package, so from now on I’m just going to use the united states postal service.

I don’t know about other FedEx locations since this is the only one I have been to, but it was a really bad first impression for me. No one was around to help me when I was confused and when I did ask questions, it wasn’t even worth the answer they gave me. I didn’t see any employees walking around or anything, there was just a few employees behind a few different counters. But you have to wait in line to talk to him. This wasn’t at all what I was expecting and made a really horrible day even more horrible. I do not recommend this location to anyone for any reason unless you have exact change and already know how to use the self-service stations. Oh, and if you don’t mind shipping an item that’s small enough to fit in your pocket for twenty five dollars.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2523061156230330/k2311a0623/6.23.10