Allergan Cellufresh Lubricating Eye Drops for Dry Eyes  » Health  »
  • I have this condition but in my experience, Celluvisc is not appropriate for lens wearers
  • Although the effects of Cellufresh do not last very long (I have to reapply every half an hour to an hour), it provides immediate relief and is a convenient way to lubricate my contact lenses
  • I recommend it to contact lens wearers because it is easy to use and provides immediate relief to dry eyes

• by bethbarl

It´s difficult to imagine that Africa has a winter but it does. When anyone mentions Africa, the images that conjure in the mind are the heat and the wilderness. But it does and Botswana for example, is in the midst of it. The winters here are cold and dry, very dry in fact.

For a contact lens wearer like me, this is bad news. I already start wearing my lenses at 5:30 a.m. during weekdays (school begins here at 7:00 a.m.) and I cannot take them off until the last person is picked up and at home. This means that I have to use my lenses for at least 12 hours a day. With a dry atmosphere and with such a long period of wearing them, the lenses get very dry and uncomfortable to wear. It makes driving difficult for me and in addition, I hardly produce tears which contribute further to the dryness of the lenses. Often,

I feel that the lenses would just pop out of my eyes as they harden without enough tears in the eyes.

To mitigate the dry effect, I try to take them out for brief periods just to let my eyes rest a bit although I would almost never drive without my lenses or even use prescription glasses (I feel restricted when wearing them). However, there are times when I am on the road the whole time and could not take out my lenses. The only way was to use lubricating eye drops.

I went to Botschem (a local pharmacy near to my home) specifically to look for eye drops and Cellufresh is one of the brands which looked appropriate for my needs. Why? Because these eye drops are in individual containers. A box contains about 30 vials (each one is good for 1 or 2 uses). I really like that I just have to twist the tab to get ...

• it opened and pour the contents in both eyes (about 2-3 drops each eye). For my eye condition, each vial is enough for one or two applications. There were very few occasions when there is something left in the vial. Such is the severity of my condition. It is not advised though to re-use any opened vial as Cellufresh is meant to be used for a day and discarded.

The immediate effect of these drops is instant lubrication of my eyes and lenses. I feel much better after the sterile solution is applied in both eyes. The lenses are clear and feel comfortable again. There is no clouding of vision which means that I can put these eye drops on the go.

Earlier, I made the mistake of picking up a Celluvisc instead of Cellufresh because the packaging and presentation of both products are similar. Fortunately, I applied Celluvisc at home and this was a disaster. Celluvisc clouds the

vision as it is a concentrated, thicker formula which is supposed to treat severe dryness. I have this condition but in my experience, Celluvisc is not appropriate for lens wearers.

Cellufresh’s formula on the other hand, is lighter than Celluvisc and it is also marked on the packaging that it is safe for both soft and hard contact lenses. Although the effects of Cellufresh do not last very long (I have to reapply every half an hour to an hour), it provides immediate relief and is a convenient way to lubricate my contact lenses. Each carton costs about P 100 here in the local pharmacy which I find average. At the moment, Cellufresh is my preferred lubricating eye drops even though Refresh (same light formula but its lubricating effect lasts even less longer than Cellufresh) is a second choice. I recommend it to contact lens wearers because it is easy to use and provides immediate relief to dry eyes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3423061156050230/k2311a0623/6.23.10