IBM Thinkpad A31  » Laptops  »
2.5
  • I bought this IBM Thinkpad A31 laptop back in 2006
  • I've always loved IBM laptops, I think they're usually very reliable and built to last
  • The max ram for mine is only 1gb but with a slow processor I don't think that really matters much
  • If you want to stay with an IBM you can read my review of the T61 that I highly recommend

• by Composer

I bought this IBM Thinkpad A31 laptop back in 2006. It served me well for a few years but quickly became a huge hassle for me. I’ve always loved IBM laptops, I think they’re usually very reliable and built to last. I’m very careful with my laptops, I never drop them or handle them poorly. Having said that, I had to replace the motherboard, the battery,

the heatsink and fan on this because they failed. The three important specs of mine are:

2.0ghz Pentium 4-m 768MB DDR 266 20gb IDE HDD

You think 2.0ghz sounds like it’d be fast right? Unfortunately this is painfully slow. Browsing the web isn’t even very smooth. Forget about watching Youtube videos fluently too. There gets to be so much stuttering. New netbooks are faster than this and they’re ...

• clocked slower. The Pentium 4-m architecture is a slow, it also produces a lot of heat so be prepared to keep this laptop off your lap.

The max ram for mine is only 1gb but with a slow processor I don’t think that really matters much. The hard drive is slow at only 4200 rpm, finding new IDE hard drives is a difficult task as well since

all the new ones are SATA.

A brand new battery will last about an hour and a half in this machine. To me that’s completely unacceptable so forget about using this on a plane, train, or automobile. If you’re looking to buy this please reconsider and get something else. If you want to stay with an IBM you can read my review of the T61 that I highly recommend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6323061155070130/k2311a0623/6.23.10