Charmed: Leo Rising
  • Leo, with no powers at his disposal and no witch with enough demon-hunting experience, he soon seeks help elsewhere – The Future
  • I know we’ve read or seen every possible portrayal but that doesn’t mean we’ll be given a character that was not remotely interesting

• by ossiriand10

The Charmed Ones have been kidnapped and are in the Underworld. It is up to Leo to mount a rescue for his wife and her sisters. Leo, with no powers at his disposal and no witch with enough demon-hunting experience, he soon seeks help elsewhere – The Future. Casting a spell, he calls out to his grown sons Wyatt and Chris.

Based from the title, I was thrilled that Leo gets the center stage in this story. There hasn’t been enough exploration of this enigmatic character in the series from becoming a Whitelighter then ascending as one of the Elders who later made a wrong decision call and sided

with the Avatars that ended him to fall from grace thus becoming mortal again. He should have his own TV series with all that drama going around him!

Back to the book, it would have been perfect if the demon scientist hadn’t been written too clichéd as mentioned by the book’s characters. For me, it appeared careless in developing a formidable antagonist against the Charmed Ones even if he was just a scientist. I don’t think the Underworld has run out of baddies that can make the sisters’ skins crawl at the mere step. I know we’ve read or seen every possible portrayal but that doesn’t mean we’ll be ...

• given a character that was not remotely interesting. I would’ve appreciated if the author decided in creating a substantial opponent for the Charmed Ones.

The antagonist was a demon-scientist name Gvinick. If the scientist’s hidden ruthless side had been exposed earlier instead of his self-important ramblings, it could have given the book that much needed suspense flavor, the story lacked.

I was thinking this book would have utilized Leo and his grown up sons more too or at least have Leo go through the proverbial needle hole to overcome some heavy odds. But there was only one and it was getting his sons from the future. There has

to be a couple more…

Sure, we’ve seen the sons in action but we were afforded just a glimpse of how Wyatt and Chris turned out in the future. A glimpse to Leo’s thoughts as he found some solace when he observed his sons interact/ handle the other Underworld characters. He realized that perhaps being mortal paved a way for his sons to carry a fair amount of cheerfulness inside them despite dealing with the responsibilities as “forces to reckon with” on the side of Good.

I extremely liked the situations where Leo worked along with his sons and I wished there were more situations to prolong the interactions between them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1723061154351130/k2311a0623/6.23.10