HTC Touch2 Cellular Phone  » Phones  »
  • Of course UIs have to work with the hardware and the 528MHz Qualcomm processor is not the best partner

• by LaPinay

The HTC Touch2 is the first smartphone from HTC to carry Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.5, thus aptly known as Windows phone. HTC seems to be focusing more on the operating system (OS) for their smartphones. It was the first to come out with Android phones and now they released a Windows phone. This would lessen the learning curve in acquiring a new phone since most people are familiar with the concept of windows.

HTC Touch2 is a budget smartphone, and the first thing that they cut corners on was the screen. It sports a 2.8” QVGA screen, with a lowly 240 x 320 pixels, very disappointing especially when viewing videos. It supports several video formats such as WMV, ASF, MP4,

3GP, 3G2, M4V and AVI. I was most excited with its ability to play avi files as this is the most common file that can be downloaded in the internet. I am not sure though if it’s worth getting an eye-strain in viewing the video in its tiny screen. It does come equipped with a 3.2 megapixel camera which churns out average quality photos. A word to the wise – this should only be used as a backup camera. It has no autofocus or flash so you can just imagine the disappointing images you get. It also comes with 3.5 mm audiojack for your music fix. It can support up to 16GB microSD card. I do not know what ...

• HTC was thinking when it made the card slot reside under the battery though. So if you want to change cards, you have to remove the batteries first to get to the slot. This is irritating to me because I save my videos in a separate card from my files, music and photos. I will have to keep switching when I want to change media, which I often do.

But for the dedicated netizen who must always be connected to the e-world, this phone is good enough to tote around. For one, it has a Zoom bar, to zoom in and out of documents. The TouchFlo is HTC’s new user interface (UI) which I admit made it faster. Of

course UIs have to work with the hardware and the 528MHz Qualcomm processor is not the best partner. It encountered a bit of trouble when multiple applications ran side-by-side. But for the non-techie geek who does not care about maximizing hardware, this might go unnoticed. It has wi-fi and Bluetooth and can yes, it is quad-band and so can go around the world with a seasoned traveler. It even has a GPS and A-GPS built-in to it.

The battery life is about a day if you use push it to the limit, i.e. constant data streaming. Although I am a dedicated netizen, this is not the phone for me because the multimedia functions are not up to my standards. Sorry, HTC.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3721061153260930/k2311a0621/6.21.10