Monster Hunter Tri (Nintendo Wii)
  • Add to this the fact that most games about chasing and catching monsters (Pokémon and Dragon Quest being the main culprits) are of a cute and fluffy disposition, this title has much to offer those gamers that would like a more intense experience in this sub-genre of monster gaming
  • Nevertheless, I was impressed with the way the game looked, beautiful landscapes considering it's on the Wii, a non-HD console, and I also love the idea of running out solitarily seeking mythical creatures in a fantasy environment
  • Of course you could be both depending on the type of Monster you're going up against, but after trialling the Gunner method I found it so under-utilized and awkward to use that I didn't want to see the thing ever again
  • The other problem is that if you choose to be a Gunner, your apparel is halved in terms of its defence or attack
  • So if you plan on picking this up then consider this as a caveat

• by The Groisht

On the face of it, Monster Hunter Tri has huge appeal. A game where you chase around big monsters with a big weapon, what could be cooler? Add to this the fact that most games about chasing and catching monsters (Pokémon and Dragon Quest being the main culprits) are of a cute and fluffy disposition, this title has much to offer those gamers that would like a more intense experience in this sub-genre of monster gaming.

The first aspect of Monster Hunter Tri that struck me was the control system. It was increasingly tiring having to manually turn your character around to face the monster, only to have your foe do some funky move and seemingly fall into a pixel abyss, because you can’t find him anywhere. This could be instantly avoided with the implication of a tracking system. It seems so simple, I can’t believe it wasn’t utilised. Nevertheless, I was impressed with the way the game looked, beautiful landscapes considering it’s on the Wii,

a non-HD console, and I also love the idea of running out solitarily seeking mythical creatures in a fantasy environment. Kind of like a Pokemon for grown-ups.

Once I bought my copy I jumped right in. Something I value greatly in games, Customisation, is not only encouraged, it is essential. However, I felt I didn’t have much choice when selecting my outfit, and here’s why; you have a choice in what kind of hunter you want to be, you can be a ‘Gunner’, meaning your weapon of choice is a firearm, or you can be a ‘Blade’ Hunter, where your weapon is a sword/hammer/lance, or anything available that cannot be thrown or fired. Of course you could be both depending on the type of Monster you’re going up against, but after trialling the Gunner method I found it so under-utilized and awkward to use that I didn’t want to see the thing ever again. The other problem is that if you choose to be a

Gunner, your apparel is halved in terms of its defence or attack. So for anyone to knowingly become a Gunner over a Blade just seems ridiculous to me. It’s a shame the Gunner weapons aren’t more fun to use, because it would be super fun to go around the land shooting up monsters from a safe distance, but by the time you’ve got your gun or crossbow or whatever out, loaded it, aimed at your target, he’s already up in your grill and your knocked down and forced to repeat the tedious cycle.

Which brings me to my next qualm; the battle system. If you’re of the Blade persuasion, you have to keep sharpening your weapon in combat when the sharpness of your blade decreases as you battle. Seems plausible, and it does make defeating monsters more challenging, but there’s a fine line between challenging and pure unadulterated tedium, which Monster Hunter Tri has greatly surpassed. When fighting monsters with a Blade weapon, I found ...

• Monster Hunter Tri (Nintendo Wii)
      it increasingly infuriating to keep having to sharpen my blade when I the sharpness dwindled, which would happen after no more than a few hits. Obviously once your Blade has lost sharpness, it won’t be as effective, so you have to find a quiet area to sharpen your weapon with a whetstone.

One thing that did impress me about MHT was it’s depth. There are a myriad of different ways you can improve your overall prowess as a hunter, from creating potions and bombs to sending out boats to hunt for treasure that you can trade for precious commodities. I often found myself straying from main quests purely to find the items I needed to create this one new type of potion. Doing these little side quests kept me happily entertained for a good few hours, but after a while you will get back to the main quests, and more often and not I found them to be more trouble than they’re worth.

I’m sure this is

a great game. It would not have garnered such a large fan-base if it wasn’t. I just think it’s a great game EVENTUALLY. I think you have to be a long term fan or have a great amount of perseverance in order to play through the banality and ignore the irksome controls in order to gain a worthwhile experience. Speaking as someone who had only previously played a 1 level demo of the game, the idea is wonderful, but there’s too much to wade through before you get to the substantial part of the game where you feel like you’re being rewarded for all your hard work. So if you plan on picking this up then consider this as a caveat: this is by no means a pick-up-and-play title, be prepared to spend a lot of time drudging around and building up your strength and weapon power. But alas all is not lost, if it’s not your cup of tea, there’s always (usually every couple of years) Pokémon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2821061153120930/k2311a0621/6.21.10