Revolutionary Road movie  » Movies  »
  • I think many couples would be quite stricken after watching this
  • I was disappointed that once again, individuals caught in an unhappy marriage turn to another warm body for solace
  • I am aware that I haven't been very vocal about my feelings to my family and friends, but I prefer to express my feelings towards actions

• by thegirlfrombrazil

This movie was utterly depressing. I think many couples would be quite stricken after watching this. It may be focused on married couples, but I think that the theme encompasses all relationships anywhere in the world because it tackles a very important yet often overlooked issue: communication.

The Wheelers are the perfect American couple on the outside—two kids, a good job for the husband and a great house to live in. But underneath that perfect sheen are two people losing their passion for and direction in life, affecting their relationship with their family and with the people around them. After an outburst, the couple decide to drop everything and move to Paris,

something I was very hopeful to see unfold. After some more scenes though, I had an inkling that Paris was never going to be in the picture. True enough, so many things happen that not only limit the family from pursuing this brave yet brash dream, but totally put their relationship to the breaking point. I felt so bad for the couple because I could feel that they were trying so hard to make things work, but with so many new things going on and a possible depression being portrayed by the wife, I knew it was near impossible for things to go their way.

I was disappointed that once again, individuals caught ...

• in an unhappy marriage turn to another warm body for solace. Is that all unhappy married people can do? Frank, played by Leonardo diCaprio, getting in an affair with a secretary was expected. Then, I figured out by the way Shep Campbell, the Wheeler’s neighbor, was looking at April that something was bound to happen between them later on in the story. And sure enough, they did end up sleeping with each other. I didn’t like how these couples are always delegated to just running off to another person when in a personal turmoil. It is a known fact. Couldn’t we have seen a different reaction to this situation?

We often take for

granted our day to day communication with the people closest to us and this can make a big difference in our relationships. I am aware that I haven’t been very vocal about my feelings to my family and friends, but I prefer to express my feelings towards actions. I feel sorry for the Wheelers because although they tried to work things out, their selfishness and cynicism got in the way. Even if you communicate but don’t take what you hear properly, it is quite pointless. I pitied April for losing her passion for life or for her family’s togetherness for that matter. And because of that, I am grateful for what simple things I have.

Revolutionary Road movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121061152940930/k2311a0621/6.21.10