Neutrogena Original Formula Facial Cleansing Bar  » Health  »
  • Among the drugstore brands I've tried, I like Neutrogena Original Formula Fragrance-Free Facial Cleansing Bar the most because it provides me with a rich, gentle lather when I wash my face and really delivers on its promise of rinsing easily
  • Unlike washing with Chanel Rinse-off Cream cleanser, whose fragrance lends a little luxury to my face washing experience, this soap does not contain any fragrance at all, not even an herbal smell to it present in Clinique's fragrance-free cleanser
  • While it may not matter to most consumers, I have an issue when a product I have been using for a long time suddenly gets replaced in the market by the same item manufactured elsewhere

• by ascendant

Over the years, I have tried countless facial washes, oils, cleansers, and bars. I have tried department store brands such as Shu Uemura (cleansing oil), Chanel (rinse-off foaming cleanser), Lancome (milk cleanser), and Clinique (rinse-off cleanser) to drugstore brands like Neutrogena (facial cleansing bar and acne-free facial wash) and Aveeno (positively radiant skin cleanser), and even specialty brands like Crabtree and Evelyn (Alpine cleanser) and Murad (Vitamin C cleanser), just to name a few.

Among the drugstore brands I’ve tried, I like Neutrogena Original Formula Fragrance-Free Facial Cleansing Bar the most because it provides me with a rich, gentle lather when I wash my face and really delivers on its promise of rinsing easily. I remember that I liked it so much the first time I tried it that I now keep a couple of bars as stock in my bathroom cabinet. I have been using the soap twice a day, everyday, but not once did it leave my skin feeling taut. On the contrary, I always feel that it leaves my face with a clean, fresh feeling after every wash which feeling I did not get from using other bar soaps like Cetaphil.

Neutrogena has had a lot of other products packaged more conveniently and perhaps more attractively that probably work

just as well as this one and yet I am sticking to this bar of soap because there is something old fashioned about it that transports me back into a time when people were into simple things and where function was more important than form. The transparent yellow soap is so plain that there’s nothing beautiful or exciting about it. Unlike washing with Chanel Rinse-off Cream cleanser, whose fragrance lends a little luxury to my face washing experience, this soap does not contain any fragrance at all, not even an herbal smell to it present in Clinique’s fragrance-free cleanser. It does its job of cleaning really well but there is no added attempt to please. No whitening, no added vitamins, no promises of fighting pimples or acne, which is just the way I like it.

Another thing I like about Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar is that it is inexpensive compared to Aveeno and Cetaphil bar soaps and that it is available in most grocery stores except maybe SM Bicutan. I buy my stock at South supermarket near Westgate for less than 100php per 100g bar. It’s a good thing it’s so reasonably priced because my first bar ...

• lasted all of three days. I must have left water in its soap dish because it practically melted away. That’s the thing with this bar of soap. You have to be careful to really leave the soap dish dry. It’s a bit of a hassle in that way so it’s not really travel friendly.

At the back portion of the box, it says that it is dermatologist recommended cleansing for clean, clear, healthy-looking skin. Generally, I would not choose a product just because its label says that it’s been dermatologist tested. I read somewhere that if a product was certified, tested or recommended even by just one dermatologist, consumer brands are allowed to put it on their labels that the product is dermatologist tested or recommended. Personally, I don’t really care whether it was tested by just one or by a dozen dermatologists. I have, in fact, never even gone to see a dermatologist in the past mainly because there was never an occasion where I needed to see one. Don’t get me wrong. My skin is far from perfect and I can’t leave the house without putting on a little makeup but I’d like to think that I have an above average skin

complexion—-blemish free, that is, which just needs a little help such as that provided by Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar.

On an added note, I am glad that this product is still made in the U.S. While it may not matter to most consumers, I have an issue when a product I have been using for a long time suddenly gets replaced in the market by the same item manufactured elsewhere. A classic example is Dove bar soap and Neutrogena body lotion. In the case of Neutrogena body lotion, my local grocery stopped selling the huge bottles of which I was a fan of and which were made in the U.S.A. and replaced it with small bottles which are now made in Korea. There is a slight but noticeable difference between the two in terms of consistency. Although both are made by Neutrogena, I find that the one made in Korea has a lighter and watery consistency in contrast to the Neutrogena body lotion made in the U.S. which is heavier and creamier. It goes without saying that there is also a marked difference in their price, with the one made in the U.S. selling for a little more. I hope they don’t start manufacturing the Neutrogena facial bar elsewhere.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3421061152010730/k2311a0621/6.21.10