Wonderland Avenue  » Books  »
  • The story rolls on past Morrison's death, where I thought initially it would get dull, but it does not

• by clevebeat
      I absolutely love this book! It’s a non-stop read from beginning to end. I cannot put it down, and I’ve read it at least three times. The book is essentially an autobiography written by the late Danny Sugerman, famous as the Doors manager, and relays the timeless ideals of rock and roll excess.

From the very mischievous childhood to an out of control adult life, this book is like a roller coaster ride. I laughed out loud, which I almost never do reading, at many intervals.

The

pranks at school were hilarious! Danny was struggling to find his way, when at about 11 years old he went to his first Doors’ concert and was hooked. I was touched by the kindness shown by Jim Morrison to a lost kid like Danny.

Danny portrays Jim in a favorable light, but I never felt like he glorified him. He showed Jim’s faults.

Jim Morrison could be downright mean, as illustrated here. However, for the most part, Jim is a kind hearted rebel that we ...

• all hoped he would be.

The story rolls on past Morrison’s death, where I thought initially it would get dull, but it does not. That’s when the pedal hits the metal.

Danny’s use of drugs is classic, with more and more and more consumption and more and more and more trouble until eventually, it becomes sad. However, I could see more about how a drug addict thinks and feels when Danny gets hooked on heroin.

The true sadness comes near the end when I could see Danny

was getting real sick and his friends were passing away. It was gut-wrenching.

However, there’s hope as Danny recovers, and he leads us through that process as well. But he doesn’t flower it up to be some cheesy thing that some autobiographical pieces tend to do.

It’s delivered raw. I would recommend this book to anyone.

Whether a rehashing of the days of the 60’s and 70’s, or to a teenager would may learn how a person could become dependent on drugs. Many lessons, but much hilarity!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172712115030931/k2311a1227/12.27.06