Arbroath Abbey, Scotland  » Travel  »
Perthshire, Kinross and Angus Postcode: DD11 1EG
  • Arbroath Abbey in Scotland was one of the most interesting places I visited on my recent trip to the UK
  • I cannot begin to tell you how amazing it is, walking on stones that have been there since the 11th century, and knowing that everything that happened there was an important part of what Scotland is today
  • I believe I heard that a reenactment concerning the declaration is performed on this site, and I hope that one day I am able to attend this as I am sure I would enjoy it very much

• by reviewabit

Arbroath Abbey in Scotland was one of the most interesting places I visited on my recent trip to the UK. Traveling along with my companion who is a devoted fan of Scottish history, I was intrigued to find out about its famous history, and the signing of the Declaration of Arbroath which is considered the Scottish declaration of independence.

When we first arrived I was dumbstruck by the sheer size and majesty of the building, which is mostly now in ruins, but its skeleton clearly shows what a monument it was in its glorious days.

A walk around the Abbey inspired me

to take over 100 pictures.

It’s ancient remains include burial sites, the “abbot’s house” with its artifacts carefully recreated and/or preserved, and a fascinating little room where you can listen to a recorded version of the story of the Declaration of Arbroath and the historical significance of it.

In the center of the room there is a replica, carefully crafted and very authentic looking– of the documents itself.

It really makes you feel as if you are taken back in time, and the story is presented in a way that gives you real emotional connection with the people of that day.

The visitors center ...

• also contains a scale model of how the Abbey is thought to have looked in its original construction.

I cannot begin to tell you how amazing it is, walking on stones that have been there since the 11th century, and knowing that everything that happened there was an important part of what Scotland is today.

I sincerely hope that this place is still appreciated by all the people who see it every day and are used to it.

We just don’t get that kind of opportunity in America, and as my ancestors are Scottish, I especially appreciate the meaning of this site.

I believe I heard that a reenactment concerning the declaration is performed on this site, and I hope that one day I am able to attend this as I am sure I would enjoy it very much.

Arbroath is so much more than “pretty to look at.

” Although visually it is astounding, there is so much to be learned, felt, and revered in this ancient place.

There are so many wonderful places to visit in Scotland it is hard to know where to start as far as recommendations sometimes, but this is on my top ten list for anyone making the trip.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3817061148710530/k2311a0617/6.17.10