VTech 2-handset cordless phone cs5111-2  » Electronics  »
2.5
  • The reviews claimed the volume worked fine, so I am not sure if this is an issue with the phone itself or Vonage quality
  • Often it is a problem of mot only the volume level, but clarity
  • The ringtones available for this phone is ridiculously boring with only four available which all sound the same except have different pitches
  • In this day and age of customizable phone ringers, you would think they could have given some kind of interesting options
  • My opinion of Vtech has not really been altered much by my experience with this phone

• by reviewabit

I purchased a Vtech 2 handset phone from Amazon, because the reviews were good and it seemed to be what I needed. It had the caller ID I wanted, was cordless, had 2 headsets, and a volume control. It’s a pretty basic model, with only necessary features, but it does offer a handset locator and the keys are illuminated when in use. I had no trouble setting up the phone with my computer/ Vonage.

It is ergonomically friendly, looks nice, and the features generally work as they should. My one major disappointment was that although it has volume control, I still have a hard time hearing calls clearly, even at the highest volume. The reviews claimed the

volume worked fine, so I am not sure if this is an issue with the phone itself or Vonage quality.

That said, my previous phone, which died from old age, was not giving me as much trouble with volume as this one is. Often it is a problem of mot only the volume level, but clarity. Sometimes callers sound very muffled, although they tell me that on their end I sound perfectly clear.

The ringtones available for this phone is ridiculously boring with only four available which all sound the same except have different pitches. In this day and age of customizable phone ringers, you would think they could have given some kind of interesting options. I find that ...

• the programming menu, although basic, is difficult to maneuver without the help of the owner’s manual.

Every time I need to change something, I have to get it out so I can remember how. It does have a nice call transfer feature, which prevents people from just grabbing the phone and listening in on a private conversation. However, most of the time I forget how to use that also.

Redial works about 80% of the time. The caller ID is reliable though, and the voicemail light works fine and is very helpful. If not for the issue of the volume, this little phone would probably get a much higher rating from me.

I could live with the boring

ring options if it gave me higher call quality. After looking at a few newer phones, I have decided to replace this one soon with a higher end model that has more features and an additional handset. Hopefully it will have better rings too– instead of this one which is bloodcurdling loud and startles me out of sleep.

Too bad the call quality doesn’t have the same volume level as the boring ringers do! I would recommend this for anyone who does not need additional volume features, and wants a basic, inexpensive 2 handset system. My opinion of Vtech has not really been altered much by my experience with this phone. I still think they produce good quality products.

dan says :

re : The reviews claimed the volume worked fine, so I am not sure if this is an issue with the phone itself or Vonage quality
    You hit the nail on the head - the volume is too low , and it keeps varying . I cant understand how there are so many passable reviews for this phone , I’m a minimalist and can accept almost any negative - except not being able to hear what is being said despite the phone being right next to the handset with the volume all the way up

It’s so bad -useless - that I hook up my former el cheapo Uniden which has only 1 handset as oppoosed to the two this Vtech has - which is why I bought it - and the old Uniden sounds like a Cadillac compared to this piece of garbage

Once again , how does it get good reviews? Other buyers don’t mind not being able to hear the person on the other end?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1617061148630530/k2311a0617/6.17.10