Old Grandad Bourbon
  • Many years ago, in Paris, I was staying at a hotel in the Latin Quarter when I noticed the manager trying to explain to a couple of young Americans that she didn’t speak English
  • No problem, said Madame, the Manager and a double room was found
  • A sweet, very pungent and very pleasant smell, but definitely glue
  • I found that it was a very appealing drink
  • We had another glass of the ‘Old Grand-Dad’ bourbon, which has a delicious flavour which has converted me to drinking it and other whiskeys of the same type and I wished them well in their journey

• by Anglecynn

Many years ago, in Paris, I was staying at a hotel in the Latin Quarter when I noticed the manager trying to explain to a couple of young Americans that she didn’t speak English. As they didn’t speak French either, they were both a bit stuck. I intervened and explained what each side was saying and helped things move along. It turned out that the Americans were looking for a room. No problem, said Madame, the Manager and a double room was found.

Having settled in, the Americans invited me to join them for a glass of something that reminded them of home by way of thanks. Being short of company myself in those days, I accepted gladly. When I had settled down and was telling them a bit about Paris, as they knew very little, having only recently arrived, one of

them produced a bottle of something unfamiliar and poured a glass each. I took a sniff and was instantly intrigued. The drink was bourbon, with which I was, at that time, unfamiliar.

I tried to treat this strange drink like a brandy. I swirled it around in the glass to warm it with my hands and get it to allow that warmth to increase its ‘nose’ to smell what it was. The result was quite unexpected. Instead of the smell of brandy, or whisky, what I got was quite a different smell. Call it a personal thing, but to me the smell was (and remains) one of glue. A sweet, very pungent and very pleasant smell, but definitely glue.

“What is it?” I asked. I was told that it was bourbon and that it was called ‘Old Grand-Dad’. At that time, in the early ...

• Seventies, bourbon was not an easy drink to get hold of. You needed to go to a specialist wine merchant, or ‘off-licence’ to get unusual drinks. I tried a sip and it was certainly strong stuff. It’s not for the faint-hearted. However, I was aware that this spirit had bags of flavour. It simply oozed flavour. It was a rich, full-bodied drink. Very strong – perhaps it could be treated like a good Scotch and drunk with the addition of a little water – but that was the attraction. I found that it was a very appealing drink.

We took in a tour of the city that evening, being asked to leave night-clubs and strip-joints because they, like me, were flat broke and couldn’t afford the charges these places demanded. During these wanderings, they confided to me that they were on the

run. One was in the US Military and the other was dodging the call-up to Vietnam. This was serious stuff. They had decided to get to Sweden and ask for protection from the Swedish authorities. We had another glass of the ‘Old Grand-Dad’ bourbon, which has a delicious flavour which has converted me to drinking it and other whiskeys of the same type and I wished them well in their journey.

I never did find out if those lads made it to Sweden. If they did, I expect they’re back in the States by now, older and greyer. ‘Old Grand-Dad’ is still the same though. I still drink it when I get a chance and that strong, intense flavour transports me back almost forty years to a small hotel in Paris and two Americans who were kind enough to introduce me to it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2717061147200330/k2311a0617/6.17.10