Stauffer’s Cheesy Whales Crackers  » Food  »
  • But these baked crackers have a much stronger cheddar taste than the best of the Goldfish crackers
  • I would recommend the snack baggies to anyone who has trouble putting down a delicious treat
  • I love Cheesy Whale crackers, and I can't go back to the regular old Goldfish crackers once I've had them

• by blunderkind

Goldfish crackers are a classic treat. Just about anyone who has had a lunchbox packed with snacks has had Goldfish crackers at some point. Sadly, the number of people who have had the Stauffer’s Cheesy Whales crackers is significantly smaller.

These crackers come from a Meiji brand company (Meiji being popular for its Japanese sweets, primarily chocolate), so one might not expect them to be particularly good. But these baked crackers have a much stronger cheddar taste than the best of the Goldfish crackers. While

many Goldfish brand crackers come off as salty, or too bread-like, the Cheesy Whales are consistently good, with a fresh-baked cheesy taste.

Even better, they are cheap. Many bargain markets and dollar stores carry boxes of them. They have been spotted at Wal-Mart for $2 for a large box or about $2.50 for a box of individually-packaged snack bags of the crackers. Compare that to the $2-$3 it takes to get a small baggie of Goldfish crackers, and the advantages of Cheesy Whales are apparent.

For a ...

• cheesy snack, the whales are also low in calories. Certainly they are still meant to be eaten in moderation, but luckily they are a fairly healthy snack. They are filling, though it’s hard to put down a box once you start snacking. I would recommend the snack baggies to anyone who has trouble putting down a delicious treat!

I love Cheesy Whale crackers, and I can’t go back to the regular old Goldfish crackers once I’ve had them. I only wish it was easier to find these

crackers - they aren’t as common as Goldfish, so sometimes you have to look hard to find them. I have found that once places start stocking Cheesy Whales, they are just as quick to run out of them.

And my last gripe - I wish they would make another flavor. On the one hand, the simplicity of Cheesy Whales is part of what makes them so great. But if they would only come out with one or two more flavors, maybe a pretzel style cracker, they could only get better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2716061146070930/k2311a0616/6.16.10