Hong Kong to Beijing Train  » Travel  »
Beijing
  • I love train travel, and for long distances it's usually cheaper than air fare
  • My ticket to Beijing was around $90, the airfare at the time was double that, so if you're not in any rush, I'd recommend the train

• by Irishguy777

I love train travel, and for long distances it’s usually cheaper than air fare.

My ticket to Beijing was around $90, the airfare at the time was double that, so if you’re not in any rush, I’d recommend the train.

There’s 4 ticket options, hard seat, soft seat, hard sleeper and soft sleeper.

I opted for soft sleeper, a little compartment with 4 beds. I’ve since used hard sleeper in China, and it’s fine… the name is a little misleading, the bed is soft, it’s just not

as private as soft sleeper, 6 beds in each compartment, and no door. Don’t forget your earplugs and eye mask, these can be very hard to find in China, so remember to pack em.

This is an excellent site for information on train travel, not just in China, http://www.seat61.com/China.htm

You’ll find schedule info and even pics of the different train classes, nice to see what to expect.

The train you need is the T97, which runs every 2 days, even dates in Jan, April, May, Aug, Nov, Dec ...

• 2010 & odd dates in Feb, March, Jun, July, Sep, Oct 2010.

You can’t buy your ticket online, so you’ll need to go to the station, or, like me, you can use a travel agent. I was lucky enough to have a friend help me with that, and even got a 10% discount… she produced some card from her wallet… I didn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

If traveling solo, you’ll most likely be the only foreigner in your section. I was lucky to meet

someone with a little English.

The train was half empty, so with the help of my new friend, I managed to blag my own compartment.

I went to check out the meal car, be warned, it’s quite pricey, but on a long distance train, it’s good to stretch the legs and have something to do. The food was ok, nothing special, some sort of rice and chicken dish.

All in all, a pretty relaxing journey. I arrived in Beijing quite refreshed. Beijing? well, that’s another review.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3816061145200730/k2311a0616/6.16.10